Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
Towing

Im trying to move one of my vehicles back to GA from MD and I dont own a trailer. Uhaul wants to charge me for 4 days to move it because they have a minimum day rental limit... First off, why the hell would they require that you rent it for four days? Second, is there really an alternative or am I just going to have to fork out the money?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
I did not mean to post this twice

Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 AM  

Well you can either pay for a trailer and tow it you're self, or you could pay to have it shipped by semi.

If I was going to be towing a car though I'd want ALL 4 tires off the ground not just the front tires like those u-haul ones.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Unless you found something else, I'd say you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Four days seems like a long time to need one minimum.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 PM  
Poison Idea

Total BS afaik for a minimum of 4 days rental. I rented a flat trailer to tow an XJ I bought about a year ago and it was 1 day minimum since they don't do hourly.

Idk how expensive a semi is for that distance, but when I was looking at having a CJ towed that way from TX to VA it was going to be something like $8-900.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM  

Middlebury, Ct.
I to rented a Uhaul auto transport for 1 day to tow my XJ after I blew the stock transfer case into pces. U-Haul: Equipment specs
Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
I just looked up that trailer... Maybe I misread the 4 day minimum (it says all rates include up to 4 days of use) Guessing that means they have a lower weekly rate... But either way, its 508 bucks for me to rent a trailer for 1 day! 1 FREAKIN DAY! I could buy a trailer for close to that... I did find an alternative, there is a guy in my town that rents his own trailer out for 30 bucks a day or 100$ a week but I decided to go the cheapest root, and when I say the cheapest, its the cheapest by a long shot! Im just going to drive home in the XJ and take a flight back... It cuts driving down to one trip (driving down) and the flight back is cheaper then it would have been to drive not to mention Im saving money by not renting any kind of trailer and saving gas on the way down by not towing a loaded trailer... Thanks for your help guys
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 AM  

Middlebury, Ct.
Glad you got that resolved sort of. I didnt check out the rates on that link but know I didnt have it for 4 days or pay anywhere near that or I would have just left my XJ there as I was pissed enough because we had just filled the tank and were all packed to go way up state NY in it. Im glad it broke down where it did but pissed it broke down period.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade42470 View Post
Glad you got that resolved sort of. I didnt check out the rates on that link but know I didnt have it for 4 days or pay anywhere near that or I would have just left my XJ there as I was pissed enough because we had just filled the tank and were all packed to go way up state NY in it. Im glad it broke down where it did but pissed it broke down period.
So you didnt have to pay $500? Maybe its because Im going one way or something.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM  
Got Milk?

Romeo, Michigan
I rented a flat car hauler trailer from U-haul when the motor went in my Mach1. It was $150.00 only, but I didn't get their insurance... Brought it from NC to MI one way. No problems or headaches..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Bookmark this Page!