Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM  

Charlotte, NC
Work is paying for relocation. Tips for a newbie?

I'm posting this a little early, but I'm moving from my parents place (finishing college at the moment) to my workplace in Warner Robins, Georgia. The Air Force is providing relocation, which involves sending a moving company to take care of everything. To save money, I plan on looking out for cheap furniture over my last school year on Craigslist and the local Ikea to furnish my new place in Georgia.

I don't expect to have too much stuff, but I might as well take my time and find some deals since moving costs are taken care of. Has anyone used a moving company before and were there any complications? This is the first time I will have moved with more then what I can fit in my Wrangler (Which isn't alot )

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm enlisted Marine Corps, and I've had the military moving companies move my things plenty of times. I'd DEFINITELY recommend that you don't put anything in your TMO (Travel Management Offie) move that you need.

I'd just save your money and buy your things once you actually get to your new place, and you can se what size of place you're going to have, what's going to fit, etc.

We recently moved to Oahu, my current station, and my TMO shipment (I'm married with two kids) took a few months to get here! So we pretty much had to re-furnish anyways! So use the TMO shipment as little as possible!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
I'm posting this a little early, but I'm moving from my parents place (finishing college at the moment) to my workplace in Warner Robins, Georgia. The Air Force is providing relocation, which involves sending a moving company to take care of everything. To save money, I plan on looking out for cheap furniture over my last school year on Craigslist and the local Ikea to furnish my new place in Georgia.

I don't expect to have too much stuff, but I might as well take my time and find some deals since moving costs are taken care of. Has anyone used a moving company before and were there any complications? This is the first time I will have moved with more then what I can fit in my Wrangler (Which isn't alot )
are you moving as a military member, or civilian because that can make a HUGE difference.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM  

Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
are you moving as a military member, or civilian because that can make a HUGE difference.
I probably should have specified that . I'm a civilian.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Alright, so you'll be moving as a contractor? In that case...

About the same thing - I'd recommend you buy your furniture after moving there. That's just coming from my moving experiences.

Moving companies nowadays are very professional. And, knowing the Air Force, I'm sure they'll re-emburse you enough to hire a nice one. Go for a big, professional name. Nowadays they'll even come in and pack up your things - a lot of times they HAVE to pack up your things for insurance reasons.

Be sure and take an inventory of everything that you have before it is moved - particularly big ticket iteams! Or just buy all those things once you get to your destination. Unfortunately, thefts do happen so best to be pro-active and be ready just in case!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
the air force (as a military member, and now that i think of it, ti will probably be the same for you as a contractor) will give you 2 options. first, they will contract a moving company to do a complete move for you. they will pack it, ship it, and unpack it. second, you can do whats called a DITY (Do IT Yourelf) move. thats where they pay you by the pound. you should be alloted a max weight, but i doubt you will have to worry about it, since you say you don't have much. i reccomend doing the dity move. i moved from Arkansas to North Dakota, and after paying for my moving truck, fuel supplies and hotel stays on the way up i made over 8,000$.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 AM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
If you do not have much to move, I would also choose DITY if it is an option for you. If you have lots of stuff, moving company is the better option. I did 2 DITY moves and 2 company moves. The second DITY after acquiring much more stuff was a royal pain. Things get broken either way but if they break it it gets replaced.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM  

I second that: buy furniture at your new place. Especially big stuff like couches. Next time I move, I am going to leave all my couches (not that nice anyway) and my big (tube) TV, which I hardly use anymore. This is a great time to get rid of any stuff you don't want/need anymore.

Since it sounds like you don't have that much stuff, I would pack all your own boxes. Personally, I don't like other people moving my stuff, let alone touching everything I own. I don't think I could trust someone I don't know going through all my things.

Once you are all moved in, save everything: straps, dollies, blankets, boxes, bubble wrap. Those last two are expensive. Save all this stuff if it is possible you may move again in the next few years. You never know. Plus, if you do move, and you have to pay for it, it will save a ton of money.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:15 PM  
Me2
Girls get dirty, too.

North Fort Worth / Keller, TX
I used Graebel for my move from Oakland, MD to San Antonio, TX. The guy loaded everything I owned, including my car, except for me, a suitcase and my cat. I can't say enough good things about that move.

I used Mayflower to get me from San Antonio to DFW - the one guy that did all of the lifting / carrying was great. The other guy stood there and did nothing except try to touch me and make rude comments. I think maybe he was the actual "mover" and he was paying one of his un-documented, non-English speaking cousins to do all of the work.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Make sure the moving company sends someone out to see your stuff and they give you a hard quote that cannot go more than 10% over when they actually weigh the truck. I had a terrible experience moving from the SF Bay Area up here, when they quoted it over the phone then wanted to double it. Took complaints to both state attorneys general to get them to back down.

(Mayflower out of Oregon)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Bookmark this Page!