Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Music
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
The original singing of "God Bless America" by "Kate Smith"

Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America”

Here Is a Real Star.

Kate Smith was born and grew up in Columbia, Missouri. In early 1940, Kate Smith, a fiercely patriotic American, and the biggest star on radio, was deeply worried about her country.

She asked Irving Berlin if he could give her a song that would re-ignite the spirit of American patriotism and faith. He said he had a song that he had written in 1917, but never used it.

He said she could have it. She sat at the piano & played it and realized how good it was. She called Mr. Berlin and told him that she couldn’t take this from him for nothing.

So, they agreed that any money that would be made off the song would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America . Thanks to Kate Smith and Irving Berlin, the Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties. This clip is from the movie “You’re in the Army Now”. You will see a familiar face (near the very end) in this one that we are all very proud of.

Frank Sinatra said that when Kate Smith, whom he considered the greatest singer of his age, first sang this song on the radio, a million guys got ‘dust’ in their eyes and had to wipe the tears the ‘dust’ caused. If you can watch and listen without ‘dust’ getting in your eyes, you have no soul. Sit back and enjoy a Real Star

Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 AM  
fustrated genius

Outstanding post!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 AM  

Pasadena, CA
I was riding with my Grandpa who was listening to Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story". Paul talked about a large woman whose friends & family tried to discourage her from going into show business. They thought she would be laughed at because of her size. Grandpa recognized that Kate Smith was the subject early into the report, & got a little "dusty" telling me about hearing her sing God Bless America on the radio.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
I thank you all for your kind response and remembrances of this great "Lady" and her beautiful voice..here's another of her great songs I'm sure you'll remember...teaberryeagle

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Music
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.