Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
1 in two americans are now poor or low income.

U.S. News - 'Dismal' prospects: 1 in 2 Americans are now poor or low income

I read this article and realized that those making below $45000/yr were being considered "low income."

Gee, I didn't realize I was considered "low income!" I think I am getting by just fine. And they throw South Carolina in there saying that they are one of the worst. Eh, the cost of living here is much lower than many of the other places that they are using the SAME income amount to compare as places with much higher cost of living.. These Journalists are idiots. They make the same stupid comparisons....

If someone has to struggle on $45,000 a year (in South Carolina anyway...) then it sounds like a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. (sounds familiar doesn't it..lol)

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 AM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
If someone has to struggle on $45,000 a year (in South Carolina anyway...) then it sounds like a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. (sounds familiar doesn't it..lol)
I think my friend from SC understands the problem in Washington.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I think my friend from SC understands the problem in Washington.
Yup.......

Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
not really taking a side here, but I think few people really understand the severity of the current income disparity when 6 (six) people have more wealth then the bottom 30% of americans combined.....

so yes, we are better shielded from knowing the wealth the richest have today as compared to robber barons of the past, but the income disparity gap has grown tremendously since we went down this path of trickle down economics.

-- also note the amount for a family of FOUR, not a single person, ALSO note poverty vs low income -- but four people, raising two kids with all those expenses on 45k would be a challenge, doable of course, but you will not likely have any extra money.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
........also note the amount for a family of FOUR, not a single person, ALSO note poverty vs low income -- but four people, raising two kids with all those expenses on 45k would be a challenge, doable of course, but you will not likely have any extra money.
Eh, I have 2 kids (= family of four). Less than 45k. I feel like we do alright. I have some land, 4wheelers to ride around, my firearms I enjoy, and oh can't forget the Jeep (in addition to our two primary vehicles).
I just think there are many out there who have a distorted view of what are necessities. Don't get me wrong, if I had car payments for all of my vehicles, and an expensive cable bill it would be tough. None of which are necessities.
I still feel that it is a spending problem for most people (some of it is where they live. More expensive). I am not jealous of those who have made lots of money in business. I actually feel sorry for most of them because I doubt that their private lives are as fulfilling.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 AM  

Dayton, Ohio
Lots of good stuff said here
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM  
fustrated genius

One thing I've learned is that the more you make , the more it takes.
150K per yr or 30K per yr and broke the day after payday. People always say, "I NEED this ammount just to get by" but the difference between what you "need" and what you "like" become very apperent when the money is cut off.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
......the difference between what you "need" and what you "like" become very apperent when the money is cut off.
THIS x 100. I think this is very much part of the problem. Many are in denial of this.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Eh, I have 2 kids (= family of four). Less than 45k. I feel like we do alright. I have some land, 4wheelers to ride around, my firearms I enjoy, and oh can't forget the Jeep (in addition to our two primary vehicles).
I just think there are many out there who have a distorted view of what are necessities. Don't get me wrong, if I had car payments for all of my vehicles, and an expensive cable bill it would be tough. None of which are necessities.
I still feel that it is a spending problem for most people (some of it is where they live. More expensive). I am not jealous of those who have made lots of money in business. I actually feel sorry for most of them because I doubt that their private lives are as fulfilling.

I completely agree with you. I'm extremely frugal; however, over the past few years, my income has gone up a little bit, and I definitely saw my spending increase right along with it, which was stupid. Therefore, over this next year, I'm strapping down, paying off everything, and going back to no car payments, no loans, under $50 on credit cards (just so they keep reporting to the credit agencies), etc.

I couldn't agree more with you. I wish more people realized that. I'm so sick of seeing news stories on people with $3,000/mo mortgages that can't pay and they're asking the government for help - all the time, they think that they're "struggling." They're not struggling, they're being extremely fiscally irresponsible, just like our country. Those type of people need a slap in the face, not a free pass from the government.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 AM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I wish more people realized that. I'm so sick of seeing news stories on people with $3,000/mo mortgages that can't pay and they're asking the government for help - all the time, they think that they're "struggling." They're not struggling, they're being extremely fiscally irresponsible, just like our country. Those type of people need a slap in the face, not a free pass from the government.
Amen! 678910

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!