Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM  

Greenville, SC
20+ States Petition for Secession from the United States

I doubt there will be any success.
First, they have to have (I think) 25000 signatures to be considered.. (Doubt They would be given serious consideration if they did get the required signatures...)

Second, you have to register on the Whitehouse website before you can sign the petition... Yeah, like many people want the Feds to know they signed a petition for secession.....

Too bad.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 AM  
American

Already signed it.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I doubt there will be any success.
First, they have to have (I think) 25000 signatures to be considered.. (Doubt They would be given serious consideration if they did get the required signatures...)

Second, you have to register on the Whitehouse website before you can sign the petition... Yeah, like many people want the Feds to know they signed a petition for secession.....

Too bad.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions
The Texas petition looked like it was getting close. It was over 17,000.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The Texas petition looked like it was getting close. It was over 17,000.
It sure would be interesting to see the federal gov't response... Now, I think if one state's petition caught traction then many other states would follow. Could get scary.... I guess that's what we voted for though.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM  

Kent, Ohio
I think we're close to the end of the GOP's extremist rightward-shift. Secession is the final option when you can't get your way through any other method, and I don't see any of the states preferring secession to continued participation in the union.

The GOP is going to have to come back to the center on social issues (gay rights, abortion, separation of church and state, etc.) if they want to remain relevant. I think cooler heads will prevail. The right is going to slide toward the center, at least on social issues, to remain relevant.

And they'd better do it fast. The left has been grooming Hillary for 12 years now. She will be a formidable opponent in 2016.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM  
American

So we have no chance unless we condone the murder of children, allow those with a sexual metal illness to destroy traditional marriage and allow the removal of God from our Christian nation?
Remain relevant to what? Not what America was founded for that is for sure.

We are not about to abandon our principles because we lost an election. We will just work harder. Count on it.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
leadarrows, this country was not founded to be a Christian nation. It was supposed to be freedom of and/or from religion. But the Christians always try to force their beliefs on everyone else. Look back at history, "you will be a Christian or we will kill you", the same thing that the Muslim religion is now doing. The Christians have always tried to make everyone else second class citizens.

But back to the original topic. Constitutional scholars say that states have a legal right to secede, just like the South did. Of course, they were attacked afterward.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM  
American

The idea that the United States is a ‘Christian nation,’ has always been central to American identity.
Those most ardently challenging America ’s Christian origins wrongly portray the Founders as rank secularists.

Do you contend that any faith has exercised even close to the amount of influence that Christianity has?

Americans adorn themselves in religious imagery and language, from the motto "in God we trust" on our money to the "so help me God" that Washington improvised in his acceptance of the presidency. Indeed, it's hard today to imagine a candidate for our highest office closing a major speech with any words other than "God bless America."

Think what you want...this is a Christian Nation but no one is saying "you will be a Christian or we will kill you" that is rubbish. We are saying ...try and take our country from us and we will kill you...and we will.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
The idea that the United States is a ?Christian nation,? has always been central to American identity.
Those most ardently challenging America ?s Christian origins wrongly portray the Founders as rank secularists.

Do you contend that any faith has exercised even close to the amount of influence that Christianity has?

Americans adorn themselves in religious imagery and language, from the motto "in God we trust" on our money to the "so help me God" that Washington improvised in his acceptance of the presidency. Indeed, it's hard today to imagine a candidate for our highest office closing a major speech with any words other than "God bless America."

Think what you want...this is a Christian Nation but no one is saying "you will be a Christian or we will kill you" that is rubbish. We are saying ...try and take our country from us and we will kill you...and we will.
*Sigh* Once upon a time I would have agreed with you and well, in a sense I agree with you again now.

Christianity (and most religion in general) has become about the $$$. If religion wasnt so full of so many hypocrites that use their religion as a shield to allow them to continually do what is self serving then I might be on board with more of what they say. (And do)

The term 'Separation of Church and State' is a great concept. But until your religious institutions start playing (and paying) by the rules I have no place for them. (Personally that is)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
*Sigh* Once upon a time I would have agreed with you and well, in a sense I agree with you again now.

Christianity (and most religion in general) has become about the $$$. If religion wasnt so full of so many hypocrites that use their religion as a shield to allow them to continually do what is self serving then I might be on board with more of what they say. (And do)

The term 'Separation of Church and State' is a great concept. But until your religious institutions start playing (and paying) by the rules I have no place for them. (Personally that is)
Too bad that you continue to generalize churches as I have observed you to do. Not sure what christians you have been associating with but mine is not at all as you have described. I don't doubt that they are out there, however. I just do not think it is a fair evaluation as a whole.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!