Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Big Health Cost Shift to Elderly

Big Health Cost Shift to Elderly in GOP Plan - ABC News

Big Health Cost Shift to Elderly in GOP Plan
Budget office: House Republican plan would raise Medicare costs for most future retirees

Quote:
Partisan divisions hardened Wednesday around the new House GOP budget, hailed by backers as a sobering correction for the nation's spending binge, and denounced by critics as an attack on health programs for middle-class retirees and the poor.

A report from the Congressional Budget Office provided added fodder for critics, after nonpartisan experts concluded most future retirees would pay considerably more for health care under the GOP approach ? which turns Medicare into a voucher-like plan for those now 54 and younger.

The sweeping fiscal plan by House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., would reduce total federal spending, deficits and debt, saving money for federal taxpayers. But it would be tempered by a cost shift to future retirees.

At hearing on his plan Wednesday, Ryan said that with sky-high deficits, the government needs to limit its mission to things that are truly needed.

"We don't want to turn the safety net into a hammock that lulls people to lives of complacencies and dependencies, into a permanent condition where they never get on their feet," he said.

Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the top Budget Committee Democrat, said Republicans are protecting tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy at the expense of the middle class and the poor.

"It doesn't reform Medicare, it deforms and dismantles it," Van Hollen said of the GOP's budget. As for Medicaid, the budget "rips apart the safety net" for poor and older people, he added.

Ryan's plan would put people now 54 and younger in a different kind of health care program when they retire, unlike the Medicare that their parents and grandparents have known. Instead of coverage for a set of benefits prescribed from Washington, they'd get a federal payment to buy private insurance from a choice of government-regulated plans.

"A typical beneficiary would spend more for health care under the proposal," the budget office estimated in its analysis.
Big Health Cost Shift to Elderly-efin848l.jpg 

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM  
Traveler

Death panels!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I wish he did have some death panels. I'd be making a list and checking it twice.......
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 PM  
Traveler

I wasn't speaking about us, but rather cryptically about them.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
funny how the people that get screwed are the ones that will be retiring without a pension plan, if we need to make cuts to medicare and social security it should be done NOW for people retiring right now, as these people are the ones with the highest percentage of employees with a pension, the next generation already has to gamble on a 401k
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
if we need to make cuts to medicare and social security it should be done NOW for people retiring right now, as these people are the ones with the highest percentage of employees with a pension, the next generation already has to gamble on a 401k
On the one hand you're right about the 401K. The other side is those just now retiring were warned to plan for retirement. Many did but if they get hit now those plans were useless.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd rather hurt my retirement than my children/grandchildren's.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!