Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM  

Greenville, SC
Big surprise from the "academia" world..

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ite&ocid=msnhp

Man, I'm no fan of going to war and nationbuilding and all that but.... These folks just need to pack their cr@p and go to europe somewhere...

Here are some of the comments:

?Why should we pay for these guys to go to college?? Hakim said he recalls a female student asking during a discussion on the nation?s responsibility to service members returning from war. ?Everybody who goes into the military is stupid ? that?s why they joined the military instead of going to college.?

?This post-9/11 love affair with the military is disgusting. Paying people to illegally invade other countries and kill innocent men, women and children is immoral. Screw the military,? wrote a reader who calls herself OVUgirl.

?I have to agree with OVUgirl. Seeing the immoral military glorified on campus is disgusting,? wrote another reader who uses the newsvine handle Gandhi Fan.

Stuff just makes me sick.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-and-the...646812684.html

Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

First of all, I don't see what that has to do with my original post. Second of all, it is an example of a "damned if you do damned if you don't" type of situation (apparently).

So it's not okay to pass over male applicants in search of female applicants but it IS okay for caucasion applicants to be passed over in search of a more "diverse" workforce?

As far as unequal pay.... I have my opinions on that but that isn't necessarily the topic right now.

And Okay, so he is like a professional "boss". Fair enough. If I am hiring a gardener, am I going to look for a pool guy? If I want to hire someone to cook my food, should I hire a mechanic just because he knows what kind of food I like (even if he can't cook it)?? FYI, the president is the boss of the country (essentially, anyway...). What he says goes, right?

And I think (and really HOPE) that you (and that stupid author) realize that when he is talking about offshore being appealing he is talking about corporations and not referring to them as people. He didn't say "WE are going offshore" or anything like that (I don't think). I think when someone fishes for negative things to say they will find it whether it is rational or not. When people talk about jobs going off shore, they aren't talking about people. The JOB CREATORS (large ones anyway) are the ones he is talking about. If it is more expensive to do something over here, then you go over there. That is what business does. It exists to make money, that is why people go into business. I don't know why some folks seem disgusted that a business is going to try to make money. That's what it is supposed to do!!! So yeah, it's going to go where it can end up with more profit and profit for it's shareholders (oftentimes, stockholders aka people with investments and retirement accounts...) I absolutely cannot believe that some people think that businesses exist for the sole purpose of providing jobs. Now, there are government jobs that exist just to provide jobs (makes sense doesn't it!)..

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!