Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
blasphemy laws could never happen in the u.s., oh wait they just did

Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress"

so know if I post an image that anyone finds offensive in any way shape or form, regardless of whether it is of you or not or intended for you or not I am now in violation of Tennessee law......

Quote:
The new legislation adds images to the list of communications that can trigger criminal liability. But for image postings, the "emotionally distressed" individual need not be the intended recipient. Anyone who sees the image is a potential victim. If a court decides you "should have known" that an image you posted would be upsetting to someone who sees it, you could face months in prison and thousands of dollars in fines.
so this includes just about anything, I am upset by an pro-religion image that "intimidates" me through meands of saying I will go to hell or otherwise less of a person then a christian would easily fit the standards, so does that mean I can start filing police reports day and night against most churches with a webpage?

or heck just the emotional distress that there is religion, check, it fits the bill. Certainly can't make any cartoon of muhammed now, not a chance.

This seems like an excellent method to create blasphemy laws in the states without explicitly calling them that.

yes, I know the supreme court will take about 2 microseconds to say this law violates the constitution. But someone will likely have to pay the price to their reputation to get it fixed. They will then sue the state, taxpayers pay for it on top of all the legal issues and for what, so republicans can show how backwards they are.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
so this includes just about anything, I am upset by an pro-religion image that "intimidates" me through meands of saying I will go to hell or otherwise less of a person then a christian would easily fit the standards, so does that mean I can start filing police reports day and night against most churches with a webpage?
I agree it's constitutionality will be it's undoing but perhaps it's time to show your legislators that it can be demoralizing to watch people lose their life savings preparing for a nutcase's Rapture predictions. You could add that seeing a picture of rev. Muttonchops burning a Quran gives you the heebie jeebies.
blasphemy laws could never happen in the u.s., oh wait they just did-cgon187l.jpg 

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
just amazing how backwards Tennessee is working so hard to be, especially after recently banning even acknowledging that there are gays as far as schools are concerned (seriously they also passed a law for that), that and protection for teachers who refuse to teach biology since evolution is the basis of biology I don't know how they can even pretend to teach the class.....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Soon, there will be 'thought police'. Think 1984.
blasphemy laws could never happen in the u.s., oh wait they just did-6a00e00988aca988330128770e9852970c-800wi.jpg 

Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
Soon, there will be 'thought police'. Think 1984.
I'm up two hours and that's the 2nd time 1984 was mentioned. My friend's 15 year old Argentine daughter is reading it in class and loved it. I hope we still teach it in the US.

People should keep an eye on "The Arab Spring" because it has lessons about the desperation with which the powerful cling to power. Patriot Act my heinie!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads