Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM  

Washington D.C., VA
Bring Back the Draft

Too many people are self centered, and perhaps we have lost some part of that spirit that made America great. Perhaps a return to the draft would help restore a sense of community service? Difficult to get through Congress, but this time we should include women? Also, not everyone is fit for military service. Regardless, they should still have a service requirement, whether it be as a forest ranger, inner city worker or some similar service role. For example, the Swiss still have a draft (just for men) but only two thirds are fit for the military. The remaining third still has a service requirement, but in a different role. Perhaps we could learn something.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Absolutely not never ever will I endorse this movement.

the men and women who are in the military WANT to be there.

The fastest way to make the moral and welfare of all troops drop like a lead brick is to start forcing people in to indentured servitude.

Our Military is a professional VOLUNTEER FORCE. The fastest way to start getting troops killed is to force people into the military. They don't care now they will not care then when someone else's life is on the line.

I spend 8 years in the military. If you have never served then you have not a single idea of what you are talking about.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Agreed. I never served but it seems like a terrible idea to put people into a situation they absolutely do not want to be in when that situation involves protecting and cooperation with a team in a high risk scenario.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
the draft encroaches on the free will that every American possesses. the only time a draft should ever be used is if we are on the brink of envasion. besides, i dont want to work with a bunch of people that dont want to be here; its bad enough already...
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 AM  

Rochester, New York
Not "no", but "H*LL NO!" Compulsory military service is exactly the wrong idea and it will not instill a positive community-minded notion in anyone's head.

I respect those who serve and have served in our military and I love this country and the ideals it was founded on, and I'd gladly lay down my life in its support if necessary. My son would do likewise. But in light of the political morass and deep corruption, putting myself in harm's way for a CinC who doesn't love this country is not my idea of serving the community.

One cannot simultaneously claim a love of liberty and also claim that being forced to fight and possibly die for a leader is a good idea.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I think it'd be great for our country. I don't think it'll ever happen because, let's face it, too many people don't want to serve - so, of course, they'd all be against it. As you all know, I've been in the Marine Corps almost 6 years now, so I'm not just talking to talk.

I wish all of our young men and women had the opportunity to get some discipline and drive in their lives. South Korea and Israel are two great examples of how mandatory military service can really motivate a workforce and make them more capable.

The huge difference is that, in those countries, they don't know anything BUT mandatory military service. In America, on the other hand, people are used to less than 1% of our population protecting the other 99%. Naturally, being that spoiled, no one's ever going to actually let something like that go through.

But sometimes, I can't lie, I wish it would.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads