Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I've owned perhaps 25 cars in my life. The Rabbits, bugs and Hondas were cheap to fix but the Detroit iron rusted faster and cost more to repair mechanically.
As I said earlier on another thread, I was die hard "buy American", we tried and tried but no body listened, then one day it f**kin dawned on my silly *ss, driving a POS Chevy getting 8 to 10 MPG, breaking down every other day, pulling the motor down twice, and replacing three AC's withing 60K miles was NOT gonna get my job back. That's when I bought my first Toyota.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood

As I said earlier on another thread, I was die hard "buy American", we tried and tried but no body listened, then one day it f**kin dawned on my silly *ss, driving a POS Chevy getting 8 to 10 MPG, breaking down every other day, pulling the motor down twice, and replacing three AC's withing 60K miles was NOT gonna get my job back. That's when I bought my first Toyota.
I mean, I can build a Toyota that gets 8-10 mpg too. I think that was more poor choice of vehicle than American vs import. Nowadays, America has just as fuel efficient cars as imports.

China is actually trying to convince GM to share its electric-car technology before they'll let a foreign company take advantage of the major subsidies that Chinese buyers of emerging technologies enjoy.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I'm driving a Dodge Caravan only because I put together a deal to get it cheap. It's cheap enough until I take it on a highway and then the gas tank seems to acquire leaks.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I mean, I can build a Toyota that gets 8-10 mpg too. I think that was more poor choice of vehicle than American vs import. ......
now yes, but remember 80's cars from both american companies and foreign companies it was no contest, even into the 2000's it was common for american car companies to import foreign cars and rebadge them as their own in order to have something that got decent mileage

the point is you could get a toyota for about the same price (excluding anti-foreign tariffs) that were far more reliable and fuel efficient then anything made in america. could they have made less fuel efficient toyota's, yes but they didn't (unless you buy their biggest truck and even then it has been fairly new to toyota). remember America's entry into competitors with the civic? the pacer? the gremlin? america didn't know how to build a small but decent, efficient car, and keep in mind toyota was able to sell these cars even with the tariffs to a country they had been at war with not that long ago. why? because they WERE that much better.

as far as reliability, whenever you see some area that has been war torn for decades and militants carrying ak-47's in the back of a pickup truck what brand is on the tailgate? It will be a toyota, because they were built well.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
now yes, but remember 80's cars from both american companies and foreign companies it was no contest, even into the 2000's it was common for american car companies to import foreign cars and rebadge them as their own in order to have something that got decent mileage

the point is you could get a toyota for about the same price (excluding anti-foreign tariffs) that were far more reliable and fuel efficient then anything made in america. could they have made less fuel efficient toyota's, yes but they didn't (unless you buy their biggest truck and even then it has been fairly new to toyota). remember America's entry into competitors with the civic? the pacer? the gremlin? america didn't know how to build a small but decent, efficient car, and keep in mind toyota was able to sell these cars even with the tariffs to a country they had been at war with not that long ago. why? because they WERE that much better.

as far as reliability, whenever you see some area that has been war torn for decades and militants carrying ak-47's in the back of a pickup truck what brand is on the tailgate? It will be a toyota, because they were built well.
Jake7 "I mean, I can build a Toyota that gets 8-10 mpg too. I think that was more poor choice of vehicle than American vs import. Nowadays, America has just as fuel efficient cars as imports.

China is actually trying to convince GM to share its electric-car technology before they'll let a foreign company take advantage of the major subsidies that Chinese buyers of emerging technologies enjoy. "

Yes, at that time Chevy only offered the LUV ha ha , no thanks, this was the mid 80's when Toyota PU's were still made & assembled in Japan. And besides, we were just coming out of a reccession, I had been laid off and had to go BACK to school because I had truanted out of HS and did not have any vocational skills either. I had just landed a job and the Chev dealer would not give me the time of day. Toyota did. Reliable trans was needed and they came through.

Did you know that China already GOT that technology from GM, in fact, they went to Japan first and they said "no way". China said that Americans are too "arogant" and think the Chinese can't out do them with auto manufacturing and gave it up. China is out to do us under and are faring well. We are sinking quick, if EVERY job in not just the US but the entire free world went to China, they would still have a 10-15% unemployment rate.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Although china is developing quickly, they're still decades behind us in basically every aspect, and their current market is unsustainable, and hanging by a thread. No matter what, any mixture of communism will fail eventually.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Although china is developing quickly, they're still decades behind us in basically every aspect, and their current market is unsustainable, and hanging by a thread. No matter what, any mixture of communism will fail eventually.
Yes, but will we be there to witness it as free Americans is the question. If you're a Marine, you're prolly a youngen, at least compared to some of us old goats on here, we saw what we were and see what we have become. Dem or Rep both should be alarmed. This is not a war that we can send our brave young marines in as we did at Iwo Jima, where even though there were more US casualties, we still took it. This is a war of internal and external economies at play, where dynamics have changed aganst us and we are under attack by our own stupidity and arogance as well as those outside wanting to destroy us, and those who simply wish to be like us, or at least as we were. We stop production, as a free society, when the ecology comes into play and fine, close and regulate our companies out of the competition, China was only concerned when it slowed US down, now they don't give a rat's bare behind about ecology matters, they want MONEY.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I understand and respect that.

I suppose I'm just not convinced of china's power yet. In 10 to 20 years if they're still steamrolling, I'll be concerned. However, I don't think they will be.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 PM  

Shuswap, BC
China like some other countries is balanced picariously on the edge.
They try and claim to be doing so great, but really look hard at the infastructure, and the way they have nothing sustainable, or any vast natural resources, and its a shell game at best.
They likely have another 5 years before it falls apart, but it will, and it will be massive when it does.
They need others for everything from gas to food. Heck they cannot even make a peice of steel without importing the ore.
Most of their lumber to even build a basic house is imported.
Their technology is 20 years behind many countries to.
Lets not even get into the mess they are creating for their future with limiting kids, so many baby girls are killed to have a boy, as they cannot have multiple children.
What happens when these boys get older and want a wife?
End of the line for them, and their bloodline, as the guys will all have to become gay and take another guy as their spouse, since women will be about as rare as a young Pope.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
I understand and respect that.

I suppose I'm just not convinced of china's power yet. In 10 to 20 years if they're still steamrolling, I'll be concerned. However, I don't think they will be.
I understand but I also remember when Japanese vehicles, or ANY import from Japan, was trash . . .TRASH! and here we are now .. downright UnAmerican not to drive a Japanese vehicle

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!