Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Democrats unveil new logo

I'm really surprised they left out the hammer and sickle..

What else could the D stand for?

Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM  
Vrrooomm

Quincy, Illinois
I dislike their new slogan, "Change that matters"? Ok, to whom? And what kind of change? They're really riding the curtails of the whole Obama presidential run with his "Hope & Change" drum. Such vagueness, it can be taken to mean any kind of change anyone wants it to mean.

I could say "I'm going to change your life!" and not give any specifics. Someone who just ignores the vagueness of that statement and attaches their own interpretation to it could be left holding the bag when I steal his car, get him fired from his job, and cause his wife to divorce him. I sure changed his life, didn't I? But I'm sure it wasn't in the way he initially thought I was going to.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:28 PM  

Franklin, TN
Please change our views to something that matters... That's what I read
Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's the point. Democrats were riding in on anti-Bush coat-tails, and just wanted to get as many votes as possible. How do you do that? Try to get a slogan that applies to everyone. Don't take a strong stand on anything. Basically, lose your backbone, and you get more votes of the American voters whom also have no backbone.

Hmmm...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM  
Vrrooomm

Quincy, Illinois
I think a better slogan would have been something like "Together, we will make America great again" but that implies that we, along the line somewhere, lost our greatness. But still, it's a better slogan than "Change that Matters", that's just dumb.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:36 PM  
INNOCENT CRIMINAL

Nashville, Tennessee
Instead of change how about a return to our original foundation with a few modern tweaks to some new problems. I’d vote Democrat myself on that platform even if it was a lie, at least that would be a start in people realizing we can’t live in full anarchy.

A return to real freedom where you’re allowed to be anyway you like, but you’ll not necessarily be recognized officially.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM  
Vrrooomm

Quincy, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey View Post
Instead of change how about a return to our original foundation with a few modern tweaks to some new problems. I’d vote Democrat myself on that platform even if it was a lie, at least that would be a start in people realizing we can’t live in full anarchy.

A return to real freedom where you’re allowed to be anyway you like, but you’ll not necessarily be recognized officially.
Sounds Libertarian, to me. Which is the stand I take on most issues. The government should have power over certain aspects of the nation, such as the military and foreign diplomacy, but they should not have power over private entities. Unless, of course, they are simply enforcing anti-trust laws in order to maintain a fair and competitive market. A competitive market breeds innovation and subsequently, new and better products. A market in which a few lines of product are dominated by single industries becomes stagnant, consumer satisfaction breaks down, and quality suffers.

The government should fear the people, the people should NOT fear the government. And unfortunately, with all of the social programs we have available to us, the people have become dependent on the government to get by. When the people become dependent on the government to make a living, they become dependent on programs which are supported ultimately by the working class (taxpayers like many of us here). If the working class continues to be squeezed, these social programs will dry up and the economy will collapse and we will be left with a nation of people who have no skills in anything practical, and who cannot rebuild the nation.

It is up to us to fight this. We've no one else to blame but ourselves, our parents, and our grandparents for allowing it to come to this. Of course, this does not apply to everyone. My grandfather worked in the steel mills all through the 50s to the 90s to support his family. He may have been union, I am not sure... In that case, I am not afraid to label him as a contributing factor to the current state of our government. Unions generally vote democratic, they vote for more entitlements and more benefits with higher wages which strain the companies they work for. They voted for the tax increases, the social programs, and the regulations on industry.

I took a philosophy class in the spring, and it really opened my eyes to just how deceitful politicians can be. How they can twist words, use fallacious logic, and spit out vague and ambiguous terminology, and the people will simply gobble it up. They will take those words, those generic words, and twist them until they mean what is most positive to them and what matters most to them. If people would just think...

"How would you like a new vehicle?" Can anyone tell me what could be deceitful about that? What it could REALLY mean? I can think of a few words that are deceitful and could use clarification. Most people would jump on that and say "Oh, that would be great!" but people who think about it would see that line of thought and understand that it could get them in a heap of trouble.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM  

These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3, The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, those are definitely the smartest things I've read all day...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 AM  
Vrrooomm

Quincy, Illinois
"How would you like a new vehicle?"

How would you? Would you like us to just dump it on your lawn with no gas? Or would you like to pay $4500 over sticker? Oh, you thought we we're giving it to you for free? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

The term "new" is ambiguous. Do they mean BRAND new? Or used but new to you? That would require clarification.

The term "vehicle" is vague. You don't know what kind of vehicle. It could be a brand new 2010 Ford F-150, or it could be a "mint" '75 Trabant (and by mint, I mean Mint Green.)

You don't know unless you clarify these things!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!