Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 PM  

Don't ask...don't tell?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Uh......what??

I don't know that i like where this law is going...

Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, at first I was actually thinking it might be real.

Thank God it wasn't!

Gross...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Uhh... I mean I know gay guys that don't sound like that, but if that guy in particular wants to go fight for my freedom, have at it. I'm going to appreciate it all the same.

Here's what gets me about don't ask don't tell.

As Americans, we hate having policy crammed down our necks, so naturally, this sort of policy is going to be met with resistance. People fought seat belt laws, belts that save your life, people fought it.

Of course, I believe if you're not smart enough to were them, having you not in the breeding population is a good thing, but then I'm a realist. All of our global problems boil down to one thing, over population, but then, there is no easy answer there. Well it's easy, just not appropriate. Getting off point though...

Gays in the military absolutely doesn't affect me, it never will, it never has. What do I care if they want to join? I don't.

What I do care about is my Government overstepping their boundaries, which they do when the implement rules against sexuality.

The state is secular, there are no secular misgivings for homosexuality, only religious, as such, I feel it not the job of my secular governing body to impart pulpit policy on those willing to fight and die so I may continue to live in the greatest country ever.

Ever.

Gay straight, just words, what you do behind closed doors has nothing to do with me.

Ever.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Uhh... I mean I know gay guys that don't sound like that, but if that guy in particular wants to go fight for my freedom, have at it. I'm going to appreciate it all the same.

Here's what gets me about don't ask don't tell.

As Americans, we hate having policy crammed down our necks, so naturally, this sort of policy is going to be met with resistance. People fought seat belt laws, belts that save your life, people fought it.

Of course, I believe if you're not smart enough to were them, having you not in the breeding population is a good thing, but then I'm a realist. All of our global problems boil down to one thing, over population, but then, there is no easy answer there. Well it's easy, just not appropriate. Getting off point though...

Gays in the military absolutely doesn't affect me, it never will, it never has. What do I care if they want to join? I don't.

What I do care about is my Government overstepping their boundaries, which they do when the implement rules against sexuality.

The state is secular, there are no secular misgivings for homosexuality, only religious, as such, I feel it not the job of my secular governing body to impart pulpit policy on those willing to fight and die so I may continue to live in the greatest country ever.

Ever.

Gay straight, just words, what you do behind closed doors has nothing to do with me.

Ever.
I'm inclined to agree. If someone who's gay is joining the military in the hopes of getting lucky, that will be clear early on and they will not make it out of boot camp. But if you're willing to pick up arms to defend this nation -- gay, straight, whatever -- my heart goes out to you and you have my sincere gratitude.

Austin, not to get off track, but your example of the seat belt law isn't exactly right. It is not the responsibility of government to protect me from myself. Of COURSE wearing a seatbelt is smart. But I chafe in an indescribably nasty (and usually foul-mouthed) way when cops pull me over and tag me with a $150 (yeah, you read that right) fine for failing to buckle up. It isn't about safety in my state. It's about revenue.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I totally agree. Like you said, what you do behind closed doors is your business. However, I do agree with DADT in that it does keep it behind closed doors.

Gays have always been free and clear to join and operate in the military, they just had to keep it to themselves. Saying gay's couldn't serve in the military is just plain wrong - they always have been able to. Just keep it to yourself, and out of the workplace. Isn't that a good boundary for any workplace, and should especially be enforced when you're downrange (in a place of imminent danger)?

And, just for the record, they have to have CLEAR evidence that you're gay to kick you out. You can't even just come up to them and say you're gay and get kicked out - mainly because the weaklings tried to do that just to get out of the military. You have to have physical evidence of it, whether it be pictures, video, whatever.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Austin, not to get off track, but your example of the seat belt law isn't exactly right. It is not the responsibility of government to protect me from myself. Of COURSE wearing a seatbelt is smart. But I chafe in an indescribably nasty (and usually foul-mouthed) way when cops pull me over and tag me with a $150 (yeah, you read that right) fine for failing to buckle up. It isn't about safety in my state. It's about revenue.
It's always about revenue. We're a capitalist country, the only true motivation is money.

My point is people will always fight what's best for them.

Is it the governments job to tell me to wear a seat belt?\

It shouldn't be, but without it, we'd see a spike in lives lost, hence the inability to continue to collect revenue from those people.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
There were plenty of Gay military members when I was active duty (95-03) and not a single one cared one way or another about the DADT. They were there because they wanted to be there. I think it was the only good thing that Clinton did.

As for Seatbelt laws. My parents had me wearing one from the time I was little. Said it can save your life so wear it. I don't think Seatbelt laws or Helmet laws should be in affect at all. It is more of a revenue stream to city and county government than anything else. I know in my area the seatbelt tickets skyrocketed when the economy went south. If you are not smart enough to see that your grape crashing into asphalt, concrete, or your windshield at a high rate of speed does nothing to prolong your life then that is no business of mine or anyone elses. I wore a seat belt and helmets no matter what. I do however agree with child safety seat laws. I see to many kids running around the back of SUV's and Minivan's and it scares me. Seen one the other day Mom was putting makeup on and the kid was running around in the back of the SUV making faces on the windows.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
There were plenty of Gay military members when I was active duty (95-03) and not a single one cared one way or another about the DADT. They were there because they wanted to be there. I think it was the only good thing that Clinton did.

That's the beauty of it. It wasn't even the gays in the military complaining, because they knew they were fine. Like I said before, they've always been able to serve. It was America just wanting something to whine about.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM  

Austin
The only problem with gays in the military is that politicians have the ability to interfere. It would have been fine, but then people have to go stick their noses where they don't belong.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!