Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Drug testing for welfare

Hmmmmmm!!!!!
Drug testing for welfare-313768_548979751790561_102939962_n.png 

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 AM  

Greenville, SC
I'm willing to bet that there were some out there who chose not to even try, OR there were many who decided to stop smoking weed for a few weeks so they could pass their test.

I would almost guarantee that if you were to totally out of the blue start testing folks without them being prepared it would be far more than 2%. I mean come on, aren't there statistics that show that alot more than 2% of the population smokes pot?

It is my opinion that OVER TIME it could save money. By either not paying benefits or even moreso by possibly making someone go get a job. I know that back when I smoked pot, I loved having a job that didn't test. If I had a choice between collecting benefits (under which I would have to quit smoking pot), and getting a job where I didn't get tested I would by far prefer getting the job. And if jobs are fairly difficult to find (and for some it is) then wouldn't it help if they could pass a drug test? My point is, those numbers you cite are likely only taking 2 simple things into account when the issue is more far reaching. It is saying "..oh, it ceased benefits on 2% saving $60000 while paying for drug tests of the rest at a cost of $178 million..."... Well, that is a simpleton's way of looking at it.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
The 178 million could have provided a nice tax cut to those who work.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM  

Actually, according to Snopes.com, those numbers are skewed.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM  

Greenville, SC
Let's look at some numbers...

The 2012 census indicated that there were 19.3 million people living in Florida.http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...20in%20florida

This article, (http://www.drugfree.org/join-togethe...e-data-reveals) says that the tests cost $30 each.

So, if it cost $30 and it cost $178 million then they must have tested.... 5.9 million people? So more than 1/4 of the population of Florida was applying for welfare while that law went into effect??? WOW.

Let's look at this another way.... I it cost $178 million and they tested just over 4000 people in Florida (after over 1000 others didn't show up for the test....hmmm......) http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...nts/53620604/1...
So, $178 million divided by 4000 people equals $44,500 (cost to drug test each person??!!??!!)... Okay, perhaps this is just a testament as to why we shouldn't have the government do ANYTHING!!!! Or, your numbers are just plain wrong.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM  

Greenville, SC
Haha... throw some evidence in and everyone gets quiet... Seems fairly common around here....

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
the bigger issue I wanna see checked for evidence of spending that money on lottery/cigarettes or alcohol (the legal drug), if someone needs help from the state these are things that those people should not be purchasing... yes drugs are easy to check for, but I bet many recipients throw the money away on these things.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
the bigger issue I wanna see checked for evidence of spending that money on lottery/cigarettes or alcohol (the legal drug), if someone needs help from the state these are things that those people should not be purchasing... yes drugs are easy to check for, but I bet many recipients throw the money away on these things.
I definitely agree 110%. I also think that if someone needs help from the state, then they shouldn't buy cable or FANCY phones. The main thing that makes me think they should be drug tested is that it makes it more difficult to get a job if you cannot pass a drug test and they are getting the benefits because they cannot get a job. DUH!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM  

Kent, Ohio
The way I see it, if you can't get by on your own merits in a free-market society, you're going to be taking from those who can. You're "economically worthless".

We have a few options for dealing with "worthless" people.

* We could enslave them. Not morally or ethically justifiable.

* We could kill them. Not morally or ethically justifiable.

* We could put them in prison. Probably the most expensive method available. Now we have to pay someone a subsistence wage to supervise them, as well as pay for their food, shelter, basic medical expenses, etc. We decrease their employability, making them more worthless.

* We could leave them alone, let them figure out how to survive. On the books, we don't pay a thing. But, these folks are going to take what they need from somewhere, so we're paying for everything they steal. When they take $50 worth of copper from a vacant house, it costs one of us $1500 to repair, but they get to eat for a few days.

* We could directly subsidize them. Give them money/housing/phones, let them go about their business.

* We could put them to work. From each according to his ability; to each according to need.

* We could evaluate on a case-by-case basis, and offer a wide variety of programs for a wide variety of problems. Offer support services to get people back to work. Education. Secure Housing. Daycare. Interviewing skills. Offer increased direct subsidies to those increasing their employability. Make these people less worthless.

Did I miss any?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM  

Greenville, SC
My solution is often seen as a very offensive one so I will probably keep it to myself. I think it makes PERFECT sense but oh, well.... Other than mine, yeah you pretty much covered the options.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!