Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM  

FEMA Corps or Obama Brown Shirts?

The federal government calls them FEMA Corps. Some say they conjure up memories of the Hitler Brown Shirts. Whatever we think about them, the Dept of Homeland Security has just graduated its first class of 231 Homeland Youth.

What do you think . . . ?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I think it is a very slippery slope we are on.

Homeland Youth, Hitler Youth HUMMMMMMMM

I personally believe that DHS is an illegal and unneeded federal agency. We need to trim the government not make it bigger. Big government = waste and fraud.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Someone has to feed all those hungry young mouths with no where to go.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Sounds like it's closer to the role the National Guard currently fulfills in peacetime. A cadre of individuals trained in managing emergency response efforts. The 18-to-24-years-of-age requirement is quite similar to the age requirements for joining the military. The hitler youth comparison is absurd. Hitler youth were 10 to 18; males were trained to serve in the military; females were prepared for motherhood. The American program closest to the Hitler Youth is probably JROTC or the Boy Scouts.

My understanding of the FEMA corps is that they are intended to be the Special Forces of disaster response.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM  

It is a spinoff of Americorp, who I have had the pleasure of working with for the last two weeks. Great kids, with a great future.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Someone has to feed all those hungry young mouths with no where to go.
And methinks that someone is us! Some will defend it as they do all liberal policies and the debt will just keep growing.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
This is true, but I personnaly do try to live by the principle "do unto others as you would have other do onto you".

I'm not a liberal by any stretch of the imagination but I have no problem seeing some of my tax dollars spent on things such as domestic disaster relief. As long as the money is spent wisely.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Many of those people getting help, paid in taxes for years to help others.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Many of those people getting help, paid in taxes for years to help others.
True enough, but that money is not banked somewhere. What is being spent now is about 1.69 times revenue, not a sustainable situation.

Oops! This email just arrived, haven't checked it for validity;
Quote:
FEMA Corps

FEMA Deputy Administrator Rich Serino gave the keynote address at the ?Induction Ceremony? for the inaugural class of FEMA Corps members. According to the DHS website, ?Corps members assist with disaster preparedness, response, and recovery activities, providing support in areas ranging from working directly with disaster survivors to supporting disaster recovering centers to sharing valuable disaster preparedness and mitigation information with the public.?

Serino describes what the first FEMA Corps class has accomplished so far, as well as where they?ll be going next:

?Yesterday, we welcomed 231 energetic members into the first ever FEMA Corps class. The members just finished off their first month of training with our partners at the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and are one step closer to working in the field on disaster response and recovery. They will now head to FEMA?s Center for Domestic Preparedness to spend the next two weeks training in their FEMA position-specific roles. Once they complete both the CNCS and FEMA training, these 231 dedicated FEMA Corps members will be qualified to work in one of a variety of disaster related roles, ranging from Community Relations to Disaster Recovery Center support.?

A standing army

Unlike most local disaster response teams who are volunteers, training periodically and only showing up when there?s a disaster, the FEMA Corps will be a paid, full time, standing army of government youth. FEMA Deputy Administrator Sarino goes on to explain, ?The new members, who range in age from 18-24 years old, will contribute to a dedicated, trained, and reliable disaster workforce by working full-time for ten months on federal disaster response and recovery efforts.?

In closing his announcement of the first graduating class of FEMA Corps Youth, Sarino describes his and the agency?s vision of the future, one where ?FEMA Corps sets the foundation for a new generation of emergency managers?.

DHS arms itself

As we detailed in the August 28 Whiteout Press article ?History of DHS Ammunition Purchases?, federal emergency management agencies are looking more and more like a military army every day.

The federal government?s procurement website actually lists DHS? requests for bids to supply it with ammunition and military weaponry. All of the orders listed in the above article, including the orders for hundreds of millions of rounds of ammunition, are publicly available athttp://www.fbo.gov/.

One look at a chart of DHS ammunition purchases over the past decade reveals a drastic spike in orders of bullets recently, totaling in the billions of rounds. Other charts available online show a similar drastic spike in the purchases of accompanying weaponry by the Department of Homeland Security.

What is the US federal government preparing for? And why does it feel it needs an army of brainwashed youth, millions of guns, thousands of armored fighting vehicles and literally billions of rounds of ammunition, just to provide relief to the American people during a natural disaster? Any historian will tell you it sounds more like the arming of the Hitler Youth than an army of first responders fighting forest fires and hurricanes.

This is hyperlink to the Oct 7, 2012 information above:

http://www.whiteoutpress.com/article...mber_172748539

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I guess that's where my comment about spending money wisely comes into the conversation.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads