Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 AM  

Greenville, SC
Good idea in South Carolina.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

SC bill ends jobless pay for drug test failure - BusinessWeek

Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM  

I believe this should be required for any type of government assistance in all 50 states!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I believe this should be required for any type of government assistance in all 50 states!
I definitely agree. The folks that are against this bill argue the high cost of the testing. (I can't believe anyone has a good reason to oppose this bill)
I think the cost of the testing would be more than offset by the folks getting jobs (because they passed their test) or the people being kicked out of the system for failing!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 AM  

I'll take it one step further. To receive government assistance, along with mandatory drug tests, you must either participate in a few hours of road clean up or some other form of volunteer work. Maybe help the elderly, pick up trash at a park, work with the handicapped, etc.

JFK said it best..."And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'll take it one step further. To receive government assistance, along with mandatory drug tests, you must either participate in a few hours of road clean up or some other form of volunteer work. Maybe help the elderly, pick up trash at a park, work with the handicapped, etc.

JFK said it best..."And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you?ask what you can do for your country."
I agree with that also..... I don't quite understand why these things aren't in place.. Again, a no brainer as far as I am concerned..
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
If this is about health/safety reasons should we (if we have the ability) to add alcohol and tobacco to this test?both of these are/contain drugs and are both a waste of government paid money.If it is about being illegal why draw the line there on laws related to unemployment pay, shouldn't people who do other illegal things be included as well?

I would bet a lot of those employers with people not showing up for drug tests may have turned down the offer or found a better job, but yeah I am sure quite a few do use the drugs, but that is a limitation the employer placed on the job.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
If this is about health/safety reasons should we (if we have the ability) to add alcohol and tobacco to this test?both of these are/contain drugs and are both a waste of government paid money.If it is about being illegal why draw the line there on laws related to unemployment pay, shouldn't people who do other illegal things be included as well?

I would bet a lot of those employers with people not showing up for drug tests may have turned down the offer or found a better job, but yeah I am sure quite a few do use the drugs, but that is a limitation the employer placed on the job.
I must apologize, I do not understand exactly what you are trying to say here... I will try to answer..

It isn't as much (to me) about the "health/safety" as much as it is about two other things:

1. Unemployment is supposed to get someone by while looking for another job and if they are failing drug tests then they are not doing the things necessary to GET a job.

2. The unemployment check is not for purchasing illegal substances.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!