Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
so you are against all drug/gambling/prostitution laws then?

pollution and energy dependence hurts us all.
To answer your first question, we would be straying WAY off track (you would likely be surprised at my answers though..).

As far as pollution and energy dependence hurting us all, I cannot disagree with that, really. But, I think that the better option would be making some bulbs that are more desireable or convince people to CHOOSE the more eco-friendly bulb. I think that all the low flow toilets, low flow shower heads, and all that stuff (mandated I think) are awful (in my experience anyway). Often times, they seem to not "save" as much as they say they do.
Oh, it is to me like the Ethanol garbage too!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
To answer your first question, we would be straying WAY off track (you would likely be surprised at my answers though..).

As far as pollution and energy dependence hurting us all, I cannot disagree with that, really. But, I think that the better option would be making some bulbs that are more desireable or convince people to CHOOSE the more eco-friendly bulb. I think that all the low flow toilets, low flow shower heads, and all that stuff (mandated I think) are awful (in my experience anyway). Often times, they seem to not "save" as much as they say they do.
Oh, it is to me like the Ethanol garbage too!
That is the problem isn't it, everyone wants a better environment, clean water and such, no people don't want to individually have to make the choices to get that end result. hence where a government push is needed, granted I think outright banning is the wrong way to go, for instance going with a selectable flush power on toilets could have been a good solution. and possibly creating and gradually raising incandescent "inefficiency" taxes on the production and import of incandescent lights so consumers still had a choice and a more gradual transition.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
That is the problem isn't it, everyone wants a better environment, clean water and such, no people don't want to individually have to make the choices to get that end result. hence where a government push is needed, granted I think outright banning is the wrong way to go, for instance going with a selectable flush power on toilets could have been a good solution. and possibly creating and gradually raising incandescent "inefficiency" taxes on the production and import of incandescent lights so consumers still had a choice and a more gradual transition.
For the most part, I am in agreement with your statements above except I am against the "government push" for things. Unless, you are merely talking about government encouragement. I do not like the idea of "the government knows better than I do" mentality. I agree that people make awful decisions (that they have the right to make) and I can give you an example:

There is a bill here in SC being debated that would make it illegal for people to smoke in their cars if there is a child under 6yrs old in the vehicle.
I think it is awful (I smoke, by the way) to smoke anywhere near small children. I make it a point not to near children outside, in public, private, wherever. I do however, disagree on the bill. Not because I think it is okay to smoke in an enclosed car with small children, but because I stand on my principal. The government needs to be smaller, not bigger.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I was just reading a prof's take on new students in recent years. They attack the syllabus as too demanding. Grad students are unable to write a declarative sentence. Intellectual curiosity is absent.

Back in PA I know for fact a former tenant still requires 30 to 45 minutes in the shower at least once and sometimes twice a day.

CFL bulbs were new to me until last year and took a bit of adjusting to. I like them now but we didn't make friends for a couple months.

No low flow because our plumbing is old and the landlord says he is "thrifty". (we use another term)

Last evening a news segment pointed out the Pacific Northwest needs teachers who speak Marshalese, the language of the Marshall Islanders. Seems rising seas are forcing them to leave their homes for the US.

Lo-flo is here to stay but could use some central planning in areas like San Francisco. Hopefully engineering can address it's shortcomings.

Either way the issues raised while irritating are far from draconian. We broke it so we'll be the ones sacrificing to fix it. Indoor plumbing is barely 100 years old so it's not like we require a pulsating shower head to wash up.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 AM  

Greenville, SC
Traditional incandescent bulbs get SC lifeline - BusinessWeek

WooHoo!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!