Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 PM  

Greenville, SC
If you would like to start it in another thread then that is fine. What is excess? Well, all I know is that I don't make much money, but I make enough. I choose to:

1. Not have cable.
2. Not have more than the MOST BASIC of cellphone (I would like to get rid of my home phone, but need it for alarm system).
3. Buy older cars.
4. No credit cards.
5. NO internet service at my house. (I was able to get employment without using the internet.)

Yet there are people out there working at burger king, getting some sort of assistance and they have ALL OF THE THINGS I HAVE LISTED. Is there something wrong with that picture?

To me, there is a HUGE problem with our system of assistance.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM  

Greenville, SC
Oh, and they probably have kids.... WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR COUNTRY???

Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I choose to:

1. Not have cable.

same here
2. Not have more than the MOST BASIC of cellphone (I would like to get rid of my home phone, but need it for alarm system).

Just a land line. I never owned (or needed) a cell.

3. Buy older cars.

1993 Dodge Caravan

4. No credit cards.

2 used cautiously

5. NO internet service at my house. (I was able to get employment without using the internet.)
Try; LocalNet: Best Value Dial-Up Internet Service Provider.
Localnet is $9.95/mo. and around Christmas they often offer a year for $99.

I do think that raising kids almost demands some sort of cable package. Sesame Street and other programs like it are good learning tools and as much as I hate the idea a TV is sometimes all that keeps parents sane.
How much do you think is a "decent" income?-local.jpg 

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Try; LocalNet: Best Value Dial-Up Internet Service Provider.
Localnet is $9.95/mo. and around Christmas they often offer a year for $99.

I do think that raising kids almost demands some sort of cable package. Sesame Street and other programs like it are good learning tools and as much as I hate the idea a TV is sometimes all that keeps parents sane.
It seems that we are similar in many respects. I am not trying to be critical of you or your lifestyle at all. I am only questioning the need to help fund the lives of those that live above their means.
Thanks for the internet suggestion, that does seem to be a reasonable price. However, I still will likely not pursue having the internet at my house. It seems I do not have the time to get things done the way it is WITHOUT the internet or cable to consume (more of) my time.
Also, our children watch VERY limited amounts of television. There is enough childrens programming on the public stations to provide some entertainment/education for the little ones.
I still stand by my opinion that internet service, FANCY cellphones and cable are definitely not necessities. If one can afford more than necessities, they do not really need help buying necessities. See, it doesn't even make sense in a sentence.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I am only questioning the need to help fund the lives of those that live above their means.
My means are limited by age & illness. Illness interfered just before my AT&T job got shipped to Malaysia.
I see AT&T just blew 39 billion $$$ on TMobile largely because they (AT&T) still can't market a phone with any speed.

People don't choose poverty and as the single Super Power in this world I expect those in need to be aided as they are in the other developed Western nations.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
My means are limited by age & illness. Illness interfered just before my AT&T job got shipped to Malaysia.
I see AT&T just blew 39 billion $$$ on TMobile largely because they (AT&T) still can't market a phone with any speed.

People don't choose poverty and as the single Super Power in this world I expect those in need to be aided as they are in the other developed Western nations.
I don't see how anything you just said addresses my question.
My means are limited by my income. So what? I am sorry about the illness that you are referring, and I am sorry that jobs were shipped overseas. And so what if AT&T just blew a bunch of money on TMobile?
What does that have to do with our taxdollars helping some people have more of "life's luxuries" than some of the people paying those taxes?

**I do acnowledge that there are many who really do need assistance. I just don't see why some can afford "extras" but need help getting the necessities of life. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
A mud hut and a bag of rice........that's all any of you deserve.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
How much do you think is a "decent" income?-blues.jpg 

Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM  

Greenville, SC
blucher, sometimes your posts don't make sense to me. It's like sometimes you will just post some random image....

Also, noone has even attempted to answer my question as to why taxpayers must often subsidize someones lifestyle when they (the recipient) may enjoy more of life's extras than the taxpayer themselves.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
blucher, sometimes your posts don't make sense to me. It's like sometimes you will just post some random image....
The thread is how-much-do-you-think-decent-income. The graphic is income declines since 2000.
How much do you think is a "decent" income?-tax-rate-history.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!