Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 PM  

Greenville, SC
Okay, I gotcha.... Sorry, I couldn't read anything on your map.
Still doesn't say what a "decent income" is.

As far as your post above with the bar graph, I have some answers to those questions.

How did the economy grow in the '50s: There are several factors, among which would be that war bonds matured. Our workforce was becoming more educated (GI bill).
Also, the higher tax rates were because once taxes are raised (such as during WW2), we know it usually goes down much slower...

I don't really understand the point of the question concerning the period between '25-'28... The economy was good. Lots of new industry.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Also, the higher tax rates were because once taxes are raised (such as during WW2), we know it usually goes down much slower...
Between 1918 & 1928 the tax rates fell 52%.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM  

Greenville, SC
Which is why I said usually. After WW1 Harding wanted to get rid of the high "wartime taxes". After WW1 there was a surplus of Federal funds.
Shortly thereafter, Hoover came in and started changing things up...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM  

Shuswap, BC
How hard is their job, and how much risk does it require?
Hours worked, benefits, skill level, many things are needed to know before I can say what I think is a fair wage?
And its different if self employed, they should make more as they did it on their own, and took a chance in going it on their own.
Really it could vary from $8/hour to $800/hour.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
All the other BS aside, I would be very happy with an income somewhere in between that
Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
How hard is their job, and how much risk does it require?
Hours worked, benefits, skill level, many things are needed to know before I can say what I think is a fair wage?
And its different if self employed, they should make more as they did it on their own, and took a chance in going it on their own.
Really it could vary from $8/hour to $800/hour.
The question sort of stems from the article at the beginning of the thread. In the article, the folks couldn't get by on I think it was $250,000 (which is ridiculous in my opinion). I guess the question is what is the "lowest" income at which there is likely no good excuse for someone to get in the hole.
I know it is a subjective question.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 AM  
Traveler

What ever you earn we are going to tax it away from you. We are just letting you have your scraps for now. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
The question sort of stems from the article at the beginning of the thread. In the article, the folks couldn't get by on I think it was $250,000 (which is ridiculous in my opinion). I guess the question is what is the "lowest" income at which there is likely no good excuse for someone to get in the hole.
I know it is a subjective question.
Yes, it is nuts if you cannot make it on $250,000 /year.
I think a nice income for an averaged sized family of say 3 to 5 people is about $80,000 to $120,000 combined income.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Yes, it is nuts if you cannot make it on $250,000 /year.
I think a nice income for an averaged sized family of say 3 to 5 people is about $80,000 to $120,000 combined income.
I believe that is DEFINITELY a nice income.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM  

Quote:
That almost qualifies for state aid in California!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads