Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 PM  

How Obamacare Almost Killed My Wife

My wife was admitted to the hospital via the ER for intestinal bleeding. A colonoscopy revealed a mass near the appendix which appeared benign but removal was recommended to prevent future problems. To be safe the surgeon recommended a colon re-section taking six inch margins. Five or six days after surgery the case manager was pushing for discharge to a skilled nursing facility, however her primary care doctor did not feel she was doing well enough for release. On the ninth day the fascia stitches failed due to infection and emergency surgery was required. Since she also has congestive heart failure the dual surgeries took their toll and she took on some 20 pounds of fluid and was too weak for any real therapy. To make matters worse she was confused, unable to clear her throat, had difficulty swallowing and could hardly talk. I prayed about the situation and was led to see what was different about her meds. With the help of Google I found that a simple med to keep her from coughing was a serious problem. The med was Tessalon Perles and she was exhibiting all side effects with no one taking notice. I got the med stopped and she made slight progress. After a couple of weeks the case manager said she had to be discharged. The skilled nursing facility’s doctor did not see her for three weeks and then because I wanted her discharged to home care. It seems the facility had only one diet and it was not low sodium so the majority of the fluid was still being retained. By taking her home I put her on a low sodium diet and she has lost the fluid but still has not recovered from the dual surgeries.

What did Obamacare have to do with this? In order to make it appear affordable Medicare was cut to help pay for it. Medicare now requires higher co-pays which my co-insurance covers but something called the DRG Prospective Payment System sets per ailment ceilings on Medicare’s payment to a hospital. When the ceiling is reached the hospital has little choice other than discharging to a lower cost nursing facility. Also doctor’s visits in the hospital end up being about five to ten minutes with the patient plus a mess of paperwork. Although four doctors were involved Medicare permits no consultation time thus problems such as the Tessy Perles situation can go unnoticed. My wife has now essentially lost four months of her life to this mass removal and it ain’t over yet.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 PM  

Eddie, I feel bad for you. My buddy, and also retired police partner for 25 years is in the same predicament. His prognosis is worse, and is expected to die in the next week or two.

Same story...ObamaCare, and the hospitals orders to ship him to a (not so) skilled nursing facility. He is now on a death watch, because the hospital shoved him out before he was healed.

I'm sure these posts will increase as the true facts about ObummerCare become known to viewers.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
My brother's wife had to change from the heart doctor she has seen for years. Because of the Medicare cuts due to Obamacare, he will no longer see Medicare patients.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 AM  

My general physician advised that rather than dealing with these headaches, and less available allowed healthcare with ObamaCare, he is closing his doors and retiring.

He said we were going to get change with voting him in....I guess he was correct!
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM  

Nevada
This is exactly why so many are heading south of the border to get medical care. They may not have all the neat machines but they will at least see and try to treat you.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
This is exactly why so many are heading south of the border to get medical care. They may not have all the neat machines but they will at least see and try to treat you.
I hear you. I know many who run to Mexico for treatment and medications. It is a damn shame to see citizens of the good ol' USA having to run south of the border. Who exactly is this current administration really helping?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I hear you. I know many who run to Mexico for treatment and medications. It is a damn shame to see citizens of the good ol' USA having to run south of the border. Who exactly is this current administration really helping?

Exactly why I dislike both parties. The Democrats screwed up healthcare for us and the Republicans blocked health care improvements for veterans. I wish they had to use what we do.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM  

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the politicians had to use our same system, things would improve immediately.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM  

It took a long time to get the truth out of the government but finally the VA scandal has been somewhat admitted. Obama is again surprised, some think Obama walked into the white house and was surprised to find that he is president. The media needs to check into medicare to see how many the system lets die.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 AM  

....and then, this silly arse government authorizes this...

KABCBy Eileen Frere
Friday, May 30, 2014
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The ruling by a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services review board has lifted a plan in place for more than 30 years. Now, transgender people may be able to have Medicare cover their sex change operation.

"This federal ruling that was just passed is very important for a transgender such as me, to be able to be how we want to be or who we want to be, authentically within ourselves," said Karina Samala of the West Hollywood Transgender Advisory Board.

Two years ago, 74-year-old U.S. Army veteran Denee Mallon had her request denied when she tried to have Medicare cover the cost of genital reconstruction.

On Friday, the Appeals Board sided in her favor, ruling it was not justified to exclude these surgeries from those covered by the National Health Program for disabled or elderly people.

Now, officials say that the ruling does not mean that Medicare recipients are automatically entitled to have the surgery paid for by the government. What it means is the coverage ban has been lifted, and that means transgender people can now try to get approval by submitting documents from their doctor to show the surgery is medically necessary.

The importance of gender identity is gaining more attention.

This week, a San Diego family posted a video on YouTube, highlighting their child, Ryland, born a girl, but whose brain identified with that of a boy. The 7-minute video ends with the child's family allowing her to make the transition to become a boy.

"I'm the happiest I've ever been in my whole life, thank you to my parents," he says.

"When we're talking about gender and gender identity, it's very important for all of us as humans to have our outsides match our inside," Tony Viramontes, Director of Prevention Services at The Center Orange County said.

But some people say they consider sex reassignment surgery to be cosmetic, which should not be covered by Medicare.

"As far as the sex change and the hormones and all that, they should cover it themselves," Marissa Trujillo of Orange said.

"I don't think necessarily the government or taxpayers should be paying for something like that, buy maybe private insurance should pay for something like that," Kersten Tedesco of Huntington Beach said.

Members of the LGBT community say Friday's ruling could pave the way for such surgeries to be routinely covered, since private insurance companies often look to the federal government for guidance on what treatments to include.

"We're really ecstatic and this is a step in the right direction for the trans community," said Viramontes.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!