Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM  

It's All About the Politics

This from Conservative Outpost:
Quote:
For Obama, it's all about the politics
- Drew McKissick (9/13/11)
During the 1992 Clinton campaign there was a famous sign hanging in the campaign headquarters exclaiming ?It?s the economy, stupid!?, reminding everyone that the focus of the campaign was that the economy was terrible, and that it was all George Bush?s fault.

Fast forward sixteen years and Obama ran his campaign on a similar notion, but three years into his first term things are worse, and blaming George W. Bush just won?t cut it anymore. So for Obama, it is all about the politics.

But why the need for yet another prime time speech to Congress about jobs and the economy? That the economy has been awful is nothing new. Quite the contrary, it is something that Americans have seen and experienced first-hand for several years, (except maybe those who work for the government).

However, it wasn?t a set of new economic indicators that drove Obama?s need to look busy, but rather some ominous political indicators.

Obama ended the month of August with the lowest approval ratings of his presidency, (Gallup put him at just 40% approval). The same held true for his standing with young voters, Hispanics and women, three voting blocs that were crucial to his 2008 election. Only 40% of Independent voters approve of the job he?s doing, while 54% disapprove: putting him upside-down by -13%. The most recent bi-partisan ?Battleground Poll? reported that only 26% of voters said they would ?definitely? vote to re-elect him. And the Rasmussen poll?s approval index put those who ?strongly approve? of Obama at just 19%, while 45% ?strongly disapprove?: a difference of -26%, which means that there are a lot of people who are really passionate about seeing him lose next year.

You can almost overlay Obama?s poll numbers on a timeline along with the introduction or enactment of his policies. The more he has proposed or done, the worse he does in the polls. It seems that the novelty has worn off and Obama fatigue has set in.

Things have gotten so bad that there is a new iPhone app, called the ?Obama Clock?, which keeps track of what can only be viewed as negative metrics: Obama?s approval rating, the national debt, the unemployment rate, the price of a gallon of gas and the housing price index. It?s currently the number one reference application for iPhones. How fitting that the tech-savvy 18-35 year old voters who gave Obama two-thirds of their votes in 2008 now have an app to keep better track of his failings.

Obama?s ?jobs? speech was, at its root, about just one job: his own, and his attempts to keep it. The whole point was to have a prime-time TV opportunity to set the lay of the land for the coming re-election campaign. His reading his ?plan? from a teleprompter on national TV to members of Congress who are capable of reading it for themselves was neither capable of nor meant to accomplish anything else.

In the end, the speech delivered nothing new, only his intention to double down on more of the same. ?Why?? can only be chalked up to one of two reasons (or both): 1) a personal belief that, despite all evidence to the contrary, more of the same that hasn?t worked is the only thing that will work; or 2) a desire to propose something that conservative Republicans will certainly reject, in the hope that he can paint them as such bad actors that the public will re-elect him next year.

The problem with option one is, again, all evidence to the contrary, and option two is a vain hope that the public will forget about all the evidence to the contrary for option one.

The speech was also an attempt to lessen the impact of being judged on the results of what he has done so far ? because to accept that judgment would be political suicide, which is something most politicians don?t commit consciously. It was his way of saying, ?Hey, I didn?t get to try everything I wanted yet, so you really can?t judge me by the results.?

But despite his attempts to convince the public that he is doing his best, the polls suggest a building impression that he is a loser. And, as General Patton once said, ?Americans love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser?.

He was right. Just ask Jimmy Carter.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
from a place called "convservative outpost" I would expect nothing less, I'm sure you read democratic websites to balance it out, right? and why no link? we have gone over this before.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
from a place called "convservative outpost" I would expect nothing less, I'm sure you read democratic websites to balance it out, right? and why no link? we have gone over this before.
C'mom Redjeep, it's obvious Eddie is a tool for the Right. He posts pseudo-science paid for by Exxon in the guise of scientific facts. In return we post legitimate facts from a diversity of sources and nothing sways him from his mission.

One must conclude that facts are of no import in the face of possible limits or taxes on the same energy cabal Bush paid off with our surplus. Eddie posts almost exclusively in one section and every post is in support of the Right's agenda. In most circles that's called a troll but in Eddie's case I think "tool" covers it more specifically.

He reminds me of Bush complaining about the Constitution as "just a piece of paper". No facts are ever going to convince such a mindset. Just grab your popcorn and watch his show.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM  
fustrated genius

Yeah, Eddie, what's a matter witcha!!?! Every one knows that Bush did it!!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 PM  

Back to rudeness and namecalling, I am certain the lurkers notice the trend.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Yeah, Eddie, what's a matter witcha!!?! Every one knows that Bush did it!!
If you care to look it up it's easily demonstrated.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Back to rudeness and namecalling, I am certain the lurkers notice the trend.
The correct identification of someone posting misleading and untrue information may not please you but liars lie and honest men don't.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
The correct identification of someone posting misleading and untrue information may not please you but liars lie and honest men don't.
oh yeah, Barack is not a liar . . .honest
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
From an e-mail being circulated........for your info. and perusal........

Quote:
What you permit, you promote."

The per person Medicare insurance premium will increase from the present monthly
fee of $96.40,
rising to: $104.20 in 2012;
$120.20 in 2013;
And $247.00 in 2014.
These are provisions incorporated in the Obamacare legislation, purposely delayed
so as not to 'confuse' the 2012 re-election campaigns. Send this to all seniors that
you know, so they will know who's throwing them under the bus.

REMEMBER THIS IN NOVEMBER 2012 & VOTE ACCORDINGLY

Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
C'mom Redjeep, it's obvious Eddie is a tool for the Right. He posts pseudo-science paid for by Exxon in the guise of scientific facts. In return we post legitimate facts from a diversity of sources and nothing sways him from his mission.

One must conclude that facts are of no import in the face of possible limits or taxes on the same energy cabal Bush paid off with our surplus. Eddie posts almost exclusively in one section and every post is in support of the Right's agenda. In most circles that's called a troll but in Eddie's case I think "tool" covers it more specifically.

He reminds me of Bush complaining about the Constitution as "just a piece of paper". No facts are ever going to convince such a mindset. Just grab your popcorn and watch his show.
Methinks I am getting under blucher's skin, which is my intent. I am journaling some of the lamer comments for future use (w/o names of course).

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads