Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM  

Greenville, SC
Mainstream media usually doesn't tell you...

Stories like this:

"Two female joggers were enjoying a morning run when three dogs viciously attacked them. Blood curdling screams rang out. Onlookers dialed 9-1-1, but Gary Paque knew there was no time. He grabbed his 9mm handgun and ran to the scene. 'One of the women was on the ground and there were three dogs trying to pull her apart,' he said. 'I shot the one dog, and he just dropped...The other dogs stopped, then continued to attack her.' Paque's gun malfunctioned, but neighbor John Bettencourt arrived with a .45-cal. pistol and shot the two remaining dogs. The most badly injured jogger was taken to the hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries. 'The armed citizens probably saved her life' said police officer Joseph Holecek." (Daily Republic, Fairfield, CA, 09/11/10)

Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM  

Greenville, SC
Or:

"His delivery completed, a pizza driver begins to drive away when a masked man accosted him with a shotgun and announced a robbery. The driver drew a handgun that he was licensed to carry and shot the suspect. After asking a passerby to dial 9-1-1, the compassionate driver reassured the wounded suspect that help was on the way. 'He kept saying " they're coming" like he was encouraging him to be okay,' said witness Dana Trader. The suspect will be arrested after his release from the hospital."
(WTVR-TV, Richmond, VA, 09/20/10)

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
The Portland newspaper and TV stations always feature stories like those. They're covered but what I never see mentioned is the 34 firearm deaths each day.

I'm very well armed but I try to be objective too. More guns add up to more violence, not less.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
The Portland newspaper and TV stations always feature stories like those. They're covered but what I never see mentioned is the 34 firearm deaths each day.

I'm very well armed but I try to be objective too. More guns add up to more violence, not less.
Well that's pretty backwards from the Mpls. media. All we hear about are the 34 shooting deaths.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I always preferred the St. Paul paper.

Seriously, if a Congresswoman and others can get shot up in Arizona with no armed response it can happen anywhere. Guns don't kill people but armed fruitcakes do.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:

Are those "34 firearm deaths each day" being carried out with legal firearms by (until that point anyway) law abiding citizens?

If not, then the laws already in place were being broken, thus meaning additional laws would have likely meant nothing.

I respect that you have firearms and want to be objective, I just do not appreciate the anti firearm stance it seems that most media displays.

Such as I have heard over the years (burns me up every time) "...they had automatic weapons..." or "a gun at school".... I have heard both. The first makes it sound like they had machine guns when in fact they just had SEMI automatic weapons. BIG difference. And the "gun at school" was an unloaded bb gun. Still unsafe, but again, BIG difference.

Terminology like that, seemingly harmless mistakes, has a large effect on those that do not know the facts. It leads to people thinking that there are just machine guns all over the place, and kids with assault rifles at school....
It just throws fuel on the anti-gun fire...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM  

Greenville, SC
Ethel Jones, a 69-year -old grandmother, heard a ruckus at her front door one evening while she was home alone. "He started shaking the door", she recalled, "and I said to myself, 'someone is fixin to break in!'" The burglar removed an air conditioner from the window and crawled inside. Jones quickly obtained her revolver, walked out of her bedroom and came face-to-face with the intruder. "I shot three times" she explained, "and he ran away hollering." The wounded suspect was arrested at the hospital. "I hope this will make people have second thoughts before they break into a home in our neighborhood and stop some of the crime we've had around here," Jones said.
(The Decatur Daily, Decatur, AL, 08/31/10)
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Are those "34 firearm deaths each day" being carried out with legal firearms by (until that point anyway) law abiding citizens?

If not, then the laws already in place were being broken, thus meaning additional laws would have likely meant nothing.
The key phrase is "by (until that point anyway) law abiding citizens". If we had every state demanding real gun checks and applicant reviews guns could be kept out of the hands of people like the shooters at Virginia Tech & Tucson.

"Such as I have heard over the years (burns me up every time) "...they had automatic weapons..." or "a gun at school".... I have heard both. The first makes it sound like they had machine guns when in fact they just had SEMI automatic weapons. BIG difference. And the "gun at school" was an unloaded bb gun. Still unsafe, but again, BIG difference.

Terminology like that, seemingly harmless mistakes, has a large effect on those that do not know the facts. It leads to people thinking that there are just machine guns all over the place, and kids with assault rifles at school....
It just throws fuel on the anti-gun fire..."

I'm not anti-gun but I am pro gun checks. All of us familiar with guns laugh at the layman's attempt to categorize firearms. It's like me trying to sound like a surgeon.

There are differences but as the kid demonstrated in Tucson you can fire a semiauto nearly as fast as a spray & pray.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Ethel Jones, a 69-year -old grandmother, heard a ruckus at her front door one evening while she was home alone."I shot three times" she explained, "and he ran away hollering."
(The Decatur Daily, Decatur, AL, 08/31/10)
Two weeks ago on an episode of "Cops" grandma was emptying her gun into her backyard where cops were responding to her phone call.I'm 66 but I really don't want many people my age making decisions about penetration, caliber & ricochet. It seems these same folks mistake gas pedal for brake far too often.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Two weeks ago on an episode of "Cops" grandma was emptying her gun into her backyard where cops were responding to her phone call.I'm 66 but I really don't want many people my age making decisions about penetration, caliber & ricochet. It seems these same folks mistake gas pedal for brake far too often.
So you say you have guns, but you don't think that people your age should be making decisions about penetration, caliber & ricochet.

Perhaps I am a tad confused. So, you have them but wouldn't use them for fear of having poor judgement? Or you and not others should have the weapons?

By the way, I do agree that some folks have poor judgement. There are plenty of people out there on the road that shouldn't even have a drivers license!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.