Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM  

Greenville, SC
Minimum wage

Doesn't need to be any higher...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM  
Traveler

Like I've been saying lately here..........Just start paying folks in this country 18 cents an hour just like they do in China. Wouldn't take too long for jobs to start coming back to this country and prosperity to reign on the American lower class once again!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Like I've been saying lately here..........Just start paying folks in this country 18 cents an hour just like they do in China. Wouldn't take too long for jobs to start coming back to this country and prosperity to reign on the American lower class once again!
What you have been talking about is much more complicated than that...

Anyway.... As far as minimum wage goes, I have a couple of questions about it. Let's say minimum wage (for the sake of argument..) is $7.50 an hour....
Okay, now a guy gets a job making minimum wage, making the $7.50 an hour and works there for a year or so, then gets a $1 raise... Congratulations, he has worked hard and put his time in and now he makes $8.50. One month later the minimum wage is raised to $8.50. Now what? A new guy gets hired and the guy who worked and stayed is now at the bottom again. If you raise his pay too, then what about the guy who has worked there 3 years (and is paid accordingly)..... I don't know how you solve that.

Also, if raising the minimum wage some is good, then why not raise it up to $18 an hour? That should be better, right? (Hopefully you see that as ridiculous.) If raising it some ridiculous amount wouldn't work, then why would raising it a little bit worK?

And last but not least.... I don't understand why minimum wage is all of a sudden supposed to be a "living wage" (whatever that is...).
Minimum wage is generally in a job where it is a part time job while in school or something... Generally where there is little commitment on the part of the employee. Some retired folks may choose to do it to supplement their retirement or just to get out of the house or something.... The folks that are trying to make a "living wage" in all likelyhood are just reaping what they sowed (so to speak). Maybe they dropped out of highschool, maybe they just aren't that good of a worker, I don't know.... Or, maybe it is a job just while looking for better work (nothing wrong with that). I just think it is a mistake to think that minimum wage should be a "living wage". It seems proponents of the minimum wage increases always say it is because it isn't a "living wage".
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM  
Traveler

Well, you just need to be informed a bit is all! First off, the minimum wage is just that. The bare minimum wage a person can receive in a setting where there is no other income involved, such as tips. It was implimented into law through the unions, to make sure that employers paid more than child labor. The government adjusts this wage to keep it tied to the cost of inflation. So in a sense, to be fair.....If minimum wage gets bumped up, then it's clear that inflation has risen, and so hence everyone in the chain, should......Should, be getting a raise also, so account for the cost of living increses, often referred to as C.O.L.A..........Yellowjeep? Who are you pitching for anyways....? You sure seem to want everyone to live on subsistant wages. Frankly, and respectfully, as I don't think you have a clue, I think you should live one year on minimum wage, then at the end of that joke, voice your opinion. I'm not dogging you. Just saying......
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM  
Traveler

I mean you say it doesn't need to be any higher. Who are you anyways? What would someone working in a sweat shop say about it I wonder? Okay, I need to get to work myself. Later!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM  

Austin
Minimum wage exist to ensure that employers can't screw over their employees.

Minimum wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem with it is people use it instead of paying a living wage.

Living wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you do for a living Yello?

Ever been poor? I mean below poverty line?

Poverty threshold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Well, you just need to be informed a bit is all! First off, the minimum wage is just that. The bare minimum wage a person can receive in a setting where there is no other income involved, such as tips. It was implimented into law through the unions, to make sure that employers paid more than child labor. The government adjusts this wage to keep it tied to the cost of inflation. So in a sense, to be fair.....If minimum wage gets bumped up, then it's clear that inflation has risen, and so hence everyone in the chain, should......Should, be getting a raise also, so account for the cost of living increses, often referred to as C.O.L.A..........Yellowjeep? Who are you pitching for anyways....? You sure seem to want everyone to live on subsistant wages. Frankly, and respectfully, as I don't think you have a clue, I think you should live one year on minimum wage, then at the end of that joke, voice your opinion. I'm not dogging you. Just saying......
I have worked for minimum wage before. Stayed on that job for almost 3 years. It paid for my gas and few bills I had while in HIGHSCHOOL. Living at home, like it should be. As I said, the folks trying to make a "living wage" (again, whatever that is) at a minimum wage job obviously made some mistakes somewhere. Let me quote Walter Williams.....

"Avoiding long-term poverty is not rocket science. First, graduate from high school. Second, get married before you have children, and stay married. Third, work at any kind of job, even one that starts out paying the minimum wage. And, finally, avoid engaging in criminal behavior. If you graduate from high school today with a B or C average, in most places in our country there's a low-cost or financially assisted post-high-school education program available to increase your skills."

Any other road travelled and you are talking about one taking the cards that the dealt to themselves. If you alter the cause-effect of choices, you encourage poor choices, and that is the direction we are going.

And I am aware that minimum wage is supposed to keep up with inflation. I believe that raising the minimum wage is part of the CAUSE of inflation.
Again, maybe when it started it was quite necessary. Apparently, even the road to the cr@pper is paved with good intentions....
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post

What do you do for a living Yello?

Ever been poor? I mean below poverty line?

Poverty threshold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I currently work in engineering.

I have never lived below the poverty line, no. I am probably closer to it than you might think though.

When I say "whatever that means" (when referring to living wage) I am generally implying that it means something different to different people, and it depends where you live also.
I still do not think that minimum wage jobs should be "careers" in a sense that it supports an "independant" person.

I believe that it is necessary for us to allow people to live with the consequences of thier choices. This is absolutely necessary if we want our society as a whole to improve.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Quote:
The government adjusts this wage to keep it tied to the cost of inflation. So in a sense, to be fair.....If minimum wage gets bumped up, then it's clear that inflation has risen, and so hence everyone in the chain, should......Should, be getting a raise also, so account for the cost of living increases, often referred to as C.O.L.A...........
This practice is, in itself inflationary. The equalization of increased wages through the Union Trades following a minimum wage hike takes about three years. During that time, due to those wage increases, the price of goods and services creep up in order for business to maintain profits which allow for investment, fluctuations in the cost of raw materials, increases in taxes, increased real estate costs, increases in utility costs, all a result if an increase in the minimum wage.

I think it's working great, NOT! Raises should be based on a businesses success, and employee performance. The Minimum wage should be abolished.

Now, before you start with the "Illegals will have all the minimum wage jobs" stuff, consider that employers who are looking at having to pay $8.50/hr, in Oregon; are looking for workers with experience, who can work with minimal supervision, who can speak English, who have previous work experience and references. It costs money to run a business, and having a business succeed in these times is a rough go at best. Having employees who cannot or will not do the job doesn't get it done and costs the business in patronage. Abolishing the minumum wage allows for those entry level jobs to stabalize at some base "going rate" at which quality employees will work. This mess is another example of Government being involved where they shouldn't be.

I can remember working for less than minimum wage as a teen. It was money I wouldn't have had otherwise, and I didn't care that my employer was breaking the law, I had a job! That job gave me the work experience I needed to get a better job a year later, and that trend followed me through my life. I have to say, picking strawberries at 5AM isn't a bunch of fun and neither is pumping gas in the middle of winter; but I did those jobs. One spin off; it made me respect the work involved in picking fruit and vegetables, and encouraged me to finish school.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM  

Greenville, SC

What Scott said.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads