Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
No fly zone

HTML Code:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/libya_no_fly_zone_1/?cl=974037732&v=8575
470,149 messages sent. Help us deliver 1,000,000
As Qaddafi's jets drop bombs on the Libyan people, the UN Security Council will decide in 48 hours whether to impose a no-fly zone to keep the government's warplanes on the ground.

Together, we've already flooded the Security Council with messages, "overwhelming" the President's office and helping to win serious targeted sanctions on the Libyan regime - now, to stop the bloodshed, we need a massive outcry of 1 million messages for a no-fly zone.

If Qaddafi can't dominate the air, he loses a key weapon in a war in which civilians are paying the heaviest price. But as long as his helicopter gunships and bombers are in the air, the death toll will rise. We have just 48 hours left -- let's hit 1 million messages to stop Qaddafi's deadly attacks before it's too late.
No fly zone-1167_1166_libya2_1_460x230.jpg 

Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
I hate to be the wet blanket here, but why is it the responsibility of the USA to fix their issues? We already have 2 failed wars that we are still paying for and one that we are actively involved in.

Not to mention, the Muslim community isnt exactly pleased with us right now either. I say we finally cut Israel loose and let them deal with some of the issues on their side of the pond. Lord knows we 'support' them as such.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
It's the Brits and the French who seem to be taking a lead in the idea of a no fly zone but we have the A10's to chew up tanks & helicopters.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
kind of mixed on this, I don't like the usa being world police but we have a situation were a massacre is actually happening NOW, we have the people rebelling and a chance to save lives and stabilize the nation WHEN THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO WANT US.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
My personal opinion is that while the people of Libya may want military help, they do not necessarily "want us".

Looking at history, stabilizing a nation is a very dicey venture unless that nation is stabilized by it's own people from within.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
WHEN THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO WANT US.
I like that part. Nor have I forgotten the Lockerbie airliner and Qaddafi's attack on us in the past. 40 years is too long to endure a cheap despot.
Last evening I heard the technique used on Saddam initially destroyed all Iraqi communications. Do that and hit his air power and let the Libyans do the rest.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
U.S., Europe considering naval operations to deliver humanitarian aid

Code:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/08/AR2011030805868.html?hpid=topnews
Quote:
The United States and its European allies are considering the use of naval assets to deliver humanitarian aid to Libya and to block arms shipments to the government of Moammar Gaddafi, even as they weigh the legality of imposing a no-fly zone without United Nations authorization, according to U.S. and European officials.

NATO military officials began briefing governments Tuesday night on a range of options that will be presented to defense ministers in Brussels on Thursday.

The Obama administration, NATO and other international organizations are united in their belief that any intervention in Libya would require international backing. But with a U.N. mandate far from assured, those considering some form of intervention - including the United States, Britain, France and Italy - are looking for alternative support, officials said.

Officials, saying international support could come from regional blocs, noted that NATO's air attacks on Serbia in 1999 came without U.N. backing.

"If you have [support from] the Arab League, the African Union, NATO and potentially the European Union, you have every country within 5,000 miles of Libya," a NATO official said. "That gives you a certain level of legitimacy."
No fly zone-qlarge.jpg 

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
HTML Code:
http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2011/03/is-libyan-no-fly-zone-bluff.html
No fly zone-us-military-options-libya.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!