Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
antiwar.com? mailonline.com?

I think we need some more solid sources than spin-off private agenda news sites...
Photos of Pat-Downs and Body Scans at Denver Airport (DIA) | Denver Post Media Center here

Coffee, Tea, or Should We Feel Your Pregnant Wife’s Breasts Before Throwing You in a Cell at the Airport and Then Lying About Why We Put You There? by Nicholas Monahan

TSA official pats down distraught 3-year-old girl

Rape Survivor Devastated by TSA Enhanced Pat Down ? PNC-Minnesota Bureau

The TSA Blog: Enhanced Pat-downs

Do you ever contribute content?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM  

North of Wausau, Wisconsin
This from the University of Ca. dated April 6, 2010 about the dangers of the scanners. It's worth the read.

LETTER OF CONCERN
We are writing to call your attention to serious concerns about the potential health risks of the recently adopted whole body backscatter X-ray airport security scanners. This is an urgent situation as these X-ray scanners are rapidly being implemented as a primary screening step for all air travel passengers.
Our overriding concern is the extent to which the safety of this scanning device has been adequately demonstrated. This can only be determined by a meeting of an impartial panel of experts that would include medical physicists and radiation biologists at which all of the available relevant data is reviewed.
An important consideration is that a large fraction of the population will be subject to the new X-ray scanners and be at potential risk, as discussed below. This raises a number of 'red flags'. Can we have an urgent second independent evaluation?

The Red Flags
The physics of these X-rays is very telling: the X-rays are Compton-Scattering off outer molecule bonding electrons and thus inelastic (likely breaking bonds).
Unlike other scanners, these new devices operate at relatively low beam energies (28keV). The majority of their energy is delivered to the skin and the underlying tissue. Thus, while the dose would be safe if it were distributed throughout the volume of the entire body, the dose to the skin may be dangerously high.

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
That is interesting Songbird.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM  

Rochester, New York
And there are a bunch more egregious violations and abuses caught as images and on video.

And while the bulk of Americans traveling do NOT encounter nonsense like this, far too many do. Napolitano's and Pistole's intransigent aloofness just feed the frustration.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 PM  

Here is another source about scanners.

WASHINGTON ? U.S. scientists warned Friday that the full-body, graphic-image X-ray scanners that are being used to screen passengers and airline crews at airports around the country may be unsafe.

?They say the risk is minimal, but statistically someone is going to get skin cancer from these X-rays,? Dr Michael Love, who runs an X-ray lab at the department of biophysics and biophysical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University school of medicine, told AFP.

?No exposure to X-ray is considered beneficial. We know X-rays are hazardous but we have a situation at the airports where people are so eager to fly that they will risk their lives in this manner,? he said.

The possible health dangers posed by the scanners add to passengers and airline crews? concerns about the devices, which have been dubbed ?naked? scanners because of the graphic image they give of a person?s body, genitalia and all.

Read more: 'Naked
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM  

Right now Al-Qaeda is laughing at all of us arguing about these sex machines. They could do more damage stealing a small private airplane and doing a "Kamakazi" into a occupied sports stadium with a mayonnaise jar containing Ricin.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Right now Al-Qaeda is laughing at all of us arguing about these sex machines. They could do more damage stealing a small private airplane and doing a "Kamakazi" into a occupied sports stadium with a mayonnaise jar containing Ricin.

Your absolutely correct, when your own government treats Americans more like criminals with the excuse it's for our safety.

When anything can walk across the border and more then likely has because our government really isn't concerned about our safety.

Something is terrible wrong going on!!

Does anyone else see the craziness of this?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
So are we talking about violating our 4th amendment rights here still, or just on the x-rays?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM  

"We the People" should not give up our 4th Amendment Rights. "We the People" should not be radiated either.

No comment on the stupidity of its "for our safety"

Anyone who is awake knows they are attempting to take us down inch by inch. I believe the inches just jumped to feet.

Jake--your occupation tells me you already are well aware of this.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, of course. I guess I'm just taking this all in - I'm not really on one side or the other as of yet. I see the arguments of both sides.

I just enjoy asking questions and getting everyone's feedback, whilst trying to weed out the hysteria.

I don't think that anyone could argue with the fact that this is violating our rights.

I also believe that, however small it may be, it at least is creating some form of a hurdle to those who may be plotting things against the US on airlines.

Question is: Is it worth it?

And that's sort of what I'm throwing back and forth in my head. With the help of all you guys, of course.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!