Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM  

Oligarchy?

Oldognewtrick made a good point on us being a republic then I saw this letter in today's paper which makes some interesting observations.
Quote:
An oligarchy
To the editor: Sir Winston Churchill observed, “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” And Chief Justice John Marshall is quoted as saying, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

Though we officially remain a republic, we seem to have morphed into a small “d” democracy that could be labeled a “pollocracy.” Members of the legislature seem to be taking their direction from public opinion polls, evidently, to ensure their continued re-election to cushy career jobs.

Most of us who have responded to political polls realize how easy it is for the sponsors to guarantee the results they want. Questions are worded so that they can only answered in the desired way. Additionally, poll results are influenced by education, occupation, politics, age distribution, geography, etc., a small sample population, all easily controlled by the sponsors.

I submit that we have become subjects of an oligarchy manipulating opinion polls of low-information voters. Together with President Barack Obama’s disregard for either the law or polls, we are experiencing chaos and diminishing freedoms beyond either Sir Winston’s or Justice Marshall’s imaginations.

Despite Obama’s warning, we didn’t think it possible!

Jerome (Jack) Lorenz

Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 PM  

Nashville, TN
We have one last chance to keep the train from running off the cliff. What happens at the midterms will pretty much seal our fate. Maybe, just maybe, there might be a little hope for us as a sovereign nation. If you don't vote, don't bitch about the outcome.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
More and more when I step into a voting both I think " neither one of these idiots has a clue." I don't think we will be any better off no matter which party wins.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM  

Nashville, TN
Thats why primmarys are so important. I agree, seems whenever I cast a ballot I have to hold my nose before I push the button.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 PM  

I quote letter by Marlin E. Reinhart of Lehighton, PA published in The American Legion Magazine, August issue. I don't know if Reinhart supports Obama or not but he nails it with respect to what has happened with our Congress, too many career politicians. In my opinion they earn far too much money and have far too many benefits compared to their constituents.

Quote:
The commentary on the powers of the presidency bypasses the real problem. Why isn't the focus on the cause of this gridlock? the framers had a deep understanding of human nature. They recognized that man's self-serving instincts would overwhelm the rights of any minority. They purposelfully established a republic in which the legislative process was lft to elected representatives.

The framers expected that the self-serving interests of members of Congress would have them return to their chosen careers after a short period of service. But for many, being a legislator was more lucrative and thus a career goal. This led to gerrymandered districts, special congressional powers based upon longevity, primary elections with rules that exclude independent voters and favor incumbents, and the need for encumbents to favor wealthy constituents and corporations in return for re-election contributions.

These self serving practices are neither specified nor implied in the Constitution. They need to be replaced by rules that provide a level playing field for new, unencumbered candidates.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 AM  

Nevada
The only true way to have an impact on the outcome is to hold your nose and get involved at the precinct level of your party. It's amazing what just one voice will do. Stand up against the establishment at that level to get candidates who express your views.

Otherwise, as someone else posted - don't gripe about the results.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
The only true way to have an impact on the outcome is to hold your nose and get involved at the precinct level of your party. It's amazing what just one voice will do. Stand up against the establishment at that level to get candidates who express your views.

Otherwise, as someone else posted - don't gripe about the results.
I tried that when I was still registered as a Dem. I became precinct secretary but found fthat the Dems has only two thoughts in mind, money and electability.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!