Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Opposition to healthcare law eases, poll finds

Healthcare law: Opposition to healthcare law eases, poll finds - latimes.com

seems like once the political bickering and exaggerations ended people became ok with the plan.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 PM  

Rochester, New York
Nope, they didn't. People are still mortally p***ed off at the whole unconstitutional idea and want it gone. Of course, the efforts of the House are completely pointless and have no chance of going anywhere. Rather than waste time with that goofy grandstanding, maybe they could actually try to do something productive....

Polls are wonderful things, just like statistics. You can make them say anything you want. And coming from the L.A. Times, nothing would surprise me.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Nope, they didn't. People are still mortally p***ed off at the whole unconstitutional idea and want it gone. Of course, the efforts of the House are completely pointless and have no chance of going anywhere. Rather than waste time with that goofy grandstanding, maybe they could actually try to do something productive....

Polls are wonderful things, just like statistics. You can make them say anything you want. And coming from the L.A. Times, nothing would surprise me.
Is letting people die in the constitution?

Is suffering written into the constitution?

Is wealth and entitlement written into the constitution?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Is letting people die in the constitution?

Is suffering written into the constitution?

Is wealth and entitlement written into the constitution?
No, none of those things are in the Constitution. Nor is the government tasked with alleviating these things.

To borrow a quote from Walter E. Williams:
Most of the issues that divide our nation, and give rise to conflict, are those best described as a zero-sum game where one person's or group's gain is of necessity another's loss. Examples are: racial preferences, school prayers, trade restrictions, welfare, Obamacare and a host of other government policies that benefit one American at the expense of another American. That's why political action committees, private donors and companies spend billions of dollars lobbying. Their goal is to get politicians and government officials to use the coercive power of their offices to take what belongs to one American and give it to another or create a favor or special privilege for one American that comes at the expense of some other American.

Certainly, I don't want anyone to suffer or go without the care they need. But when we empower the government (illegally, I might add) to take from some to give to others we have abdicated a fundamental bedrock right which is the right to own property and wealth.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 AM  

macomb, Illinois
That poll was heavily dem. Flawed poll by flawed people!!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM  
Poison Idea

And before someone pulls out the whole "promote the general welfare" argument, the welfare of the nation is not congruous with the welfare of individuals, people, or citizens.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM  

Greenville, SC
Walter Williams ROCKS...So does Thomas Sowell. Anyway.....
I say repeal the new healthcare junk.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM  
Poison Idea

Or at least remove all the total bs from it like taxing people who dont have insurance, requiring everyone to have insurance, ect.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Or at least remove all the total bs from it like taxing people who dont have insurance, requiring everyone to have insurance, ect.
And the part where employers have to be willing to cover deadbeat "kids" up to age 25...
I think the things we are mentioning are some of the core items to the bill so they probably need to just kill the whole thing.
-Taxing people who chose not to have insurance: That is a way to help fund the program.
-Requiring the employer to cover kids 25 yrs old is part of the "everyone is entitled to healthcare...."
It's all BS. I think you should get what you pay for.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
And before someone pulls out the whole "promote the general welfare" argument, the welfare of the nation is not congruous with the welfare of individuals, people, or citizens.
because individuals does not add up to the welfare of the nation as a whole........ sure........
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdiver86 View Post
That poll was heavily dem. Flawed poll by flawed people!!
evidence?

Quote:
that is the method needed to make health care affordable for all, if people can just buy it when they happen to be sick then it becomes insanely expensive for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
And the part where employers have to be willing to cover deadbeat "kids" up to age 25...
yes because all kids who are 25 and don't have employer based health coverage are deadbeats...... You may not know it but there is such a thing called grad school and can take some time to finish, plus finishing college and getting a graduate degree while working part time and doing a graduate assistant-ship AND paying health insurance IS NOT easy at all, I did it would have been nice to have some real health insurance instead of the somewhat crappy group plan for students, in addition to costs there was a surprise $2000 bill I had to pay because it exceeded their coverage limits. but I have a pre-existing condition that insurers will not cover despite the costs being trivial so I had no choice in other providers really if I ever wanted to be covered for that
Quote:
I think the things we are mentioning are some of the core items to the bill so they probably need to just kill the whole thing.
-Taxing people who chose not to have insurance: That is a way to help fund the program.
-Requiring the employer to cover kids 25 yrs old is part of the "everyone is entitled to healthcare...."
It's all BS. I think you should get what you pay for.
Think through what you wrote and ask yourself would it work with the changes you want, the answer to that is "no"

Everyone is entitled to healthcare, we are among the richest nations on earth, but have a pathetic health system. you can complain about it being income redistribution but that is horribly shortsighted. WHO PAYS NOW??? not the people without insurance, they get a free ride

so who pays now? the people that do pay for insurance, they pay for their insurance and apparently I pay for your health coverage as well, so quit taking the free ride off me, I doubt you have a couple hundred grand saved up for a medical emergency so unless you have a notarized letter on you at all times saying how much the hospital should spend before giving up you are planning on getting a free ride from me if something does go wrong.

and a side note to motorcharge, Fallout 3 is pretty awesome :thumbsup:

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!