Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Getting along with Congress would be the least of her worries. Our fiscal crisis is very likely to hit us like a ton of bricks within the next two to six years (maybe sooner). I'd hate for her to be caught in that with no easy way out -- and there is no easy way out. The blame and hatred would be heaped on who ever is president even though they didn't create the problem.

Any other time, though, I'd be fine with her as president.
crisis? our gdp to debt ratio has not changed that much so unless you feel that we have been in a crisis for the past 60+ years then that is overstating it quite a bit. Not saying it is not an issue by any means, but a crisis it is not.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM  
Poison Idea

I don't see how anyone can stand her. She's the Republican Obama. She's just mindblowlingy stupid, has no political experience other than ruining any chance McCain had of being President and half a failed term as Governor as Alaska, and all she does is repeat talking points and catch phrases with no real content or thought.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
crisis? our gdp to debt ratio has not changed that much so unless you feel that we have been in a crisis for the past 60+ years then that is overstating it quite a bit. Not saying it is not an issue by any means, but a crisis it is not.
It's getting hard to tell if you just enjoy baiting folks or if you really don't understand something.

Our debt has increased significantly over the last few years. See below:

What this chart does not show is state debt, pension liabilities, municipal bond failures, and unfunded liabilities such as Social Security and Medicare. This total debt is far higher and of a different nature than what we've experienced before. The unfunded liabilities are estimated to be in the neighborhood of $144 trillion. Add that to the ~$14 trillion and then check your debt:GDP ratio again.

It bears mentioning, too, that the debt:GDP ratio isn't a particularly sound indicator. GDP is calculated as follows:

GDP = C + I + G + (X - i)

where:

C = consumer spending
I = gross investments
G = government spending
X = exports
i = imports

In light of the fact the government has literally been pumping trillions of dollars into the equation since the fall of 2007, the GDP value is inflated. Government spending is supposed to reflect infrastructure growth, not neo-fascist bail-outs for private business and certainly not for foreign banks.

It also bears mentioning that much of our debt (in particular, Treasury securities) are indexed to the value of the dollar at the time they were issued; we can't inflate our way out of the bulk of our debt by just creating more money via the Fed.

The U.S. dollar is falling in value and everyone knows it. If the dollar were strong, BRIC and other nations wouldn't be talking about creating a new global currency. There's a reason foreign banks are reluctant to buy Treasuries which is why the Fed is now buying them. In the last 10 years, we have seen a 26.6% decrease in the value of the dollar. Since the Federal Reserve was instantiated, the dollar has lost 97% of its value. Following WWII, our productivity was extremely high, so in spite of the enormous war debt, we were able to pay it off AND prop up other nations' currencies. Today, our productivity is extremely low (relative to back then, anyway), and the outlook isn't anywhere near as rosy.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I don't see how anyone can stand her. She's the Republican Obama. She's just mindblowlingy stupid, has no political experience other than ruining any chance McCain had of being President and half a failed term as Governor as Alaska, and all she does is repeat talking points and catch phrases with no real content or thought.
Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to her or what she's said. Can you give a few examples of ways in which she has shown she's an idiot?

As for McCain, he lost because he stinks on ice. He easily could have run on the Democrat ticket -- he's that much of a leftist. Palin is the reason he got as many votes as he did. For right or wrong, Palin resonated with a lot of people.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I think it's funny that an organization is giving her that much credit to give her a "Palin-free month." It's just giving her more publicity, and you're acknowledging that she gets to you - isn't that her job?

Also, this thread kind of counter-acted. Now we're arguing about Palin...

Personally, I kind of like her. I think she's honest, and I like that.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to her or what she's said. Can you give a few examples of ways in which she has shown she's an idiot?
"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where? where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008

The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil." ?-Sarah Palin, in a message posted on Facebook about Obama's health care plan, Aug. 7, 2009

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

"'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'" --a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin in response to being ridiculed for inventing the word "refudiate," proudly mistaking her illiteracy for literary genius, July 18, 2010

"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities between the two Koreas, interview on Glenn Beck's radio show, Nov. 24, 2010

PalinAsPresident.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I think it's funny that an organization is giving her that much credit to give her a "Palin-free month." It's just giving her more publicity, and you're acknowledging that she gets to you - isn't that her job?

Also, this thread kind of counter-acted. Now we're arguing about Palin...

Personally, I kind of like her. I think she's honest, and I like that.
Yeah, like spouting off about the economy and Federal spending while taking money for a bull**** project and simply keeping it before quitting her office kind of honest.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah, give me the name of a politician, and I can give you ten stupid quotes. Not much of a point.

Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with her views, but I do like her raw personality. She's not politically correct, and I enjoy that. I think a lot of politicians could take a few lessons her. There's always going to be haters.

For example...

Some of Obama's stupid quotes - it seems we may have even used the same website!

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries." --Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." --confusing German for "Austrian," a language which does not exist, Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

Post.. Cloned!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 AM  

Rochester, New York
She might be entirely unqualified from an intellectual point of view to hold any office. But from the misstatements she made, that doesn't prove anything one way or the other; politicians -- including presidents -- have screwed up in exactly the same way routinely. Google stupid quotes politicians -- there's no shortage of idiocy from all sides at all levels on all topics.

Unfortunately, there is no stipulated qualification to hold office, whether it's IQ or knowledge about the post or experience in a similar position, etc. Maybe that's not a bad thing. But what I would like to see is a law requiring anyone who wants to vote to pass a quick citizenship test as well as a quick quiz on current events.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I like Palin. I wouldn't want to see her as President. That is unless the alternative was Obama. I think that she would be maybe a good senator or maybe cabinat member.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Goes to further my point about them being the same.
She's got the same qualifications as Obama and lies just the same yet for some reason half the people who despise him love her. She doesn't have a single thought of her own, all she can do is throw out catchy phrases and terms to hook stupid people. Kinda like Obama and his hope and change nonsense.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.