Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Poll Shows Support for Embattled Public Sector Workers

HTML Code:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/us/01poll.html
Quote:
a majority of Americans say they oppose efforts to weaken the collective bargaining rights of public employee unions and are also against cutting the pay or benefits of public workers to reduce state budget deficits, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.
Quote:
Americans oppose weakening the bargaining rights of public employee unions by a margin of nearly two to one: 60 percent to 33 percent. While a slim majority of Republicans favored taking away some bargaining rights, they were outnumbered by large majorities of Democrats and independents who said they opposed weakening them. Those surveyed said they opposed, 56 percent to 37 percent, cutting the pay or benefits of public employees to reduce deficits, breaking down along similar party lines. A majority of respondents who have no union members living in their households opposed both cuts in pay or benefits and taking away the collective bargaining rights of public employees.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 AM  

Greenville, SC
Yeah, I guess one should ask "why should they pay more for their benifits, and make sacrifices like everyone else?" For that matter, why should anyone have to?

(what's up with that pic anyway?)

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Yeah, I guess one should ask "why should they pay more for their benifits, and make sacrifices like everyone else?" For that matter, why should anyone have to?

They have already accepted the cutbacks proposed by Walker but he insists on breaking the union too.

I thought the pic portrayed Walker's mentality.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
They have already accepted the cutbacks proposed by Walker but he insists on breaking the union too.

I thought the pic portrayed Walker's mentality.
They have accepted the cutbacks but they will be very shortlived if the collective bargaining isn't dealt with. Also, it seems that some of the unions have been negotiating for higher pay to offset the extra benefit costs. That sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
companies should have all the power to essentially unionize and bargain with the government against worker's rights/benefits and protections, the average worker does NOT need a voice, corporate america will speak for his interests - republicans
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Also, it seems that some of the unions have been negotiating for higher pay to offset the extra benefit costs. That sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

At least according to yesterday's news the unions accepted the cutbacks and only collective bargaining separated the two.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
At least according to yesterday's news the unions accepted the cutbacks and only collective bargaining separated the two.
they agreed on that a while ago, this has been purely about breaking up the unions for a while now

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads