Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM  
fustrated genius

Shouldn't we STOP sending our DAM money overseas?

Why are we sending billions of dollars off to foreign aid to people who hate Americans anyways, when we need DAM money here?
Our bridges aren't safe anymore either.

Engineers Report More U.S. Dams Deteriorating : NPR

Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM  

Shuswap, BC
I feel the same way about us in Canada.
Our government feels its okay to send the tax dollars, from hard working people of our country, off to strangers, that would not ever help us if we needed it.
Meanwhile our roads are falling apart, people are going hungry, people cannot afford a home, new clothes or other things, but they are forced to py taxes.
Then harper sends it to foreign countries to buy them roads, homes, clothes, food etc. How screwed up is that.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM  

Rocklin, Ca.
There are many needs overseas.

We must help fix the world. Why not send some of our government workers overseas. We do not need any more fixes from the government here.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygobus View Post
We must help fix the world. Why not send some of our government workers overseas. We do not need any more fixes from the government here.
There are many needs here at home that need fixing first
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
While I agree with foreign aid to an extent, I agree that we're going a little overboard sending money to countries that would like nothing better than to see us nuked off the face of the earth.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
well when our foreign policy (support of israel) as well as other meddling (for right or wrong) makes lots of enemies we have to "buy" friends in the middle east
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM  

Detroit, michigan
The U.S. has OVER 750 military bases around the Globe.
Russia has 3
China has 2
The U.S. spends as much on military as the next 10 countries COMBINED!
Add ALL of China's military expense to ALL of Russia's military expense, then add Pakistan, India, ALL of the U.K., N. Korea, Iran, Israel, Venezuela, and......
You get the picture.
On TOP of THAT add all of the foreign aid (of which Israel gets the most) and you have to wonder what really is going on in Washington that we have to lay off Firemen, police, EMS, and teachers, close schools and entire cities, and steal my retirement money I have been paying to the gov't for over 35 years.

You young guys, and some of you older guys, don't realize it right now, but you will one day, much like myself.
When I was fresh I was perturbed about all the money I paid into FICA every week.
I figured I could use that money NOW, not in 45 years, geez. Who knows if I'll even be around to collect it then?
Last year I was working on a job and had an accident.
I am permanently disabled now.
I just turned 50 the week before.
I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't have a big bank account to fall back on, just a little money for a rainy day; and boy was it raining now.
In less than 3 months I was found to be disabled by SSD and it took 6 months to get my first check from them.
I get $1800 a month to live on now.
It's not a lot of money friends, but I thank the Godz that it is there.

Let's hope you never need it before you retire and live out your golden years playing golf.
But IF you do finds yourself in my position, you'll be glad you socked that money away, even when you didn't want to.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by opheucus View Post
The U.S. has OVER 750 military bases around the Globe.
Russia has 3
China has 2
The U.S. spends as much on military as the next 10 countries COMBINED!
Add ALL of China's military expense to ALL of Russia's military expense, then add Pakistan, India, ALL of the U.K., N. Korea, Iran, Israel, Venezuela, and......
You get the picture.
On TOP of THAT add all of the foreign aid (of which Israel gets the most) and you have to wonder what really is going on in Washington that we have to lay off Firemen, police, EMS, and teachers, close schools and entire cities, and steal my retirement money I have been paying to the gov't for over 35 years.

You young guys, and some of you older guys, don't realize it right now, but you will one day, much like myself.
When I was fresh I was perturbed about all the money I paid into FICA every week.
I figured I could use that money NOW, not in 45 years, geez. Who knows if I'll even be around to collect it then?
Last year I was working on a job and had an accident.
I am permanently disabled now.
I just turned 50 the week before.
I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't have a big bank account to fall back on, just a little money for a rainy day; and boy was it raining now.
In less than 3 months I was found to be disabled by SSD and it took 6 months to get my first check from them.
I get $1800 a month to live on now.
It's not a lot of money friends, but I thank the Godz that it is there.

Let's hope you never need it before you retire and live out your golden years playing golf.
But IF you do finds yourself in my position, you'll be glad you socked that money away, even when you didn't want to.
And you know....? You have to be there to fully appreciate it. Most people don't have a clue either. My wife has a pre existing condition and never ever could afford health insurance. Doctors treated her like crap too, because we would have to ask for senior medicare rates and on and on. Now my wife just qualified for medicare and can finally afford the medication and medical attention she always needed but couldn't afford. It has long pissed me off too, all the money going to our military, when the cold war is over now. Russia truly was the more intelligent party in this war. I once heard that the military was the largest consumer of fossil fuel, and if that's even close to true, you can imagine how much of our money is incinerated every day at the current costs, all the while our bridges are collapsing and our power grids erroding. It just never seemed right to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM  

Detroit, michigan
I'm glad to hear your wife got her Medicare, I truly can sympathize. Without insurance most doctors will see you but their treatment, if any, is usually half-hearted. I wondered why I was being treated this way and my wife came up with the idea that better treatments cost big bucks. The doc knows you don't HAVE big bucks so they throw at you what they think you can afford.
I don't have my Medicare yet and as much as I despise big pharma ('nother topic), I have to thank them cause they are sending me Lyrica and Cybalta for free, due to my financial situation.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM  
Traveler

I can't remember the details of a story I heard on NPR once, but there is a drug that helped women with some sort of disease fairly common in Africa. The American firms wouldn't produce it because there was no market even though women were actually dying from the disease. That was until these firms discovered that this same drug helped eliminate facial hair on women in this country and that there was a market for it now............ My wife used to get free doses of a drug called rimmicaid, which did little if anything for her condition and even made her ill, while the more expensive drug, imuran, was off the table. Now, with a supplimental insurance policy, made possible by the recent health care bill because insurance companies cannot hit you for a pre existing condition, my wife can now afford the imuran. Here's one for you......... Before my wife could get medicare, my wife litterally broke down in tears in an emergency room once after hemmeraging badly, and the doctors telling her there was nothing they could do because of no insurance. I remember, and this is the honest to God truth, the doctor told her to start smoking, that it could possibly help. Later, when it came time to put money down on the till, my wife asked if she could get a medicare rate as a senior, even though she wasn't on medicare yet and the doctor refused stating that medicare wouldn't be around for him, as he was in his 30s and if we couldn't afford healthcare, then we should sell our home. Ahhhh the reality only a percentage of this country has experienced. It's a real nice smack down!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!