Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 AM  

Greenville, SC
Texting while driving......

Go!

Do you do it??? Do you think it's a good idea?? Do you think it's always the "other guy" who can't text and concentrate on driving?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM  

Honestly, I have done it once or twice, but only quick "yes"s or "no"s. I try to be careful while doing it, and no, I don't think it is a good idea. I am a volunteer firefighter/EMT and I have seen what happens to distracted drivers. The less of them I see the better.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM  

Greenville, SC
I don't text at all. It bugs me to see people doing it.
What about the lady falling into a fountain at some mall WALKING while texting...
That should tell you something right there.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM  
Poison Idea

I'll respond quickly at a light, but that's it. It's too stupid to do it while driving, people are already bad enough drivers. No one can stare at a phone screen while texting and focus on driving. Drives me bat**** insane when I'm driving and people start drifting into me because they're looking at their phone and not the road and what's around them. What really pisses me off is when I lay on my horn so they don't hit me then they have the nerve to give me a ****ty look like I'm the one in the wrong.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM  

Greenville, SC
^^^^I agree.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Before texting became such a problem, there were the Truck Drivers that would type on the Qualcomm Units while driving and I, for one, did such a few times, till I almost went off road a few times in a 40 ton missle. I learned to STOP and text.

I refuse to text on cellphones and delete ANY text message. I, for one, being, I'm sure, aligned with MANY People, wouldn't have a problem with cellphones BEING DESTROYED ON THE SPOT when drivers are PULLED OVER FOR TEXTING or were THE CAUSE OF CRASHES/WRECKS.
No crying, NO suspicion, NO plea bargain, NO chance for redemption!! Surrender the phone or go to jail (and still lose the phone)!!

Losing cell phones regardless for such as above then might deliver the message: NO TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!!

I liked the idea of the New Jersey Police that when having a person pulled over for texting while driving, the drivers were also forced to look at pictures of what happened to many people as A DIRECT RESULT of texting while driving. I'm sure such tactic woke up some people where possibly some others became victims, oh well.

--This is of MY OPINION and not of any other Persons' view(s)--
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM  

Rochester, New York
I'm kinda split on this. Many times I see an inattentive driver, he or she is either yacking or texting and it pisses me off. But I see plenty of crap-lousy drivers who appear to be giving their all to driving -- they don't appear distracted with anything. They just stink at driving.

So why does one class of bad driver deserve a ticket while another class of bad driver doesn't?

The libertarian in me might suggest that unless property is destroyed or someone is harmed, people should be free to do whatever they want while driving. The pragmatist in me sees that might lead to a lot more accidents. Perhaps a middle ground might be: knock yourself out and do whatever you want, but if you are found to have caused property damage or hurt someone because you were impaired or distracted while driving, you don't get to drive in this state anymore. Ever. Period. And if you kill someone it's an automatic negligent homicide charge AND you lose your license in that state forever.

I'm going on about five hours of sleep over the last 48 hours so I'm probably making no sense at all. Sorry, guys.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
So why does one class of bad driver deserve a ticket while another class of bad driver doesn't?
Bad drivers should be punished regardless of what it is they're doing. The problem with people who simply suck at driving is that the DMV standards are too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The libertarian in me might suggest that unless property is destroyed or someone is harmed, people should be free to do whatever they want while driving.
I'm about as Libertarian as you can get, but I have no issue with having requirements and restrictions on what people can do on public roads that we all pay for. We're already fine with restrictions such as insurance, inspections, ect, so why not phones? I don't see the harm, especially when hands free devices are so cheap and readily available.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM  

Shuswap, BC
No, its too distracting.
No one should ever text and drive.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM  

Redmond, Oregon
No way too distracting. The other day I missed a green light (I was 2nd car back) due to an inattentive driver on his cell, ignored my honking. I see too many inattentive drivers on the road and my mom was t-boned by a lady on a cell phone who blew right through a stop sign.

I'm sure not all drivers are distracted and I'm sure some can text and drive without causing incident, but there are even more drivers out there not paying attention because texting is more important.

When I worked I T-mobile this guy called in to buy his daughter a new cell phone. Said it was damaged in her 3rd accident while texting! All 3 accidents were caused by her texting (thank God no other cars involved). She had racked up well over 5,000 text per month. And he wanted to buy her a new phone.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads