Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Similar situation in my town, union police/fire/public works.

Our city counsel suggested a 10% pay cut, but looks now like lay-offs for all departments.

People are leaving the area and the tax base has dwindled, but the union contracts never reflect this.

I was a member of AFSME for 20yrs. biggest waste of my money...ever. I never liked the union, I took a new position 1.5yrs ago and couldn't be happier. No union, my pay raises are based on merit, not just showing up and collecting a paycheck.

Funny thing, unions were originally meant to help workers get better pay and a higher standard of living.
I'm now making better wages on merit and performance than I did in the union.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Really had nothing to do with supplier integration.....although it really is smart.
Sorry, I misunderstood. You said listen to the last statement made, which was:

"Sources in Dearborn say privately that this is the sort of facility Ford would love to build in the U.S. if only the UAW, historically averse to this sort of supplier integration, would allow it."

The tail wags the dog. The company wants to do something, but the union representing employees won't allow it.

Quote:
It has more to do with cost of production and employee costs.
Cost of production should be pretty similar, but employee costs are very high in the U.S. Between meeting government obligations around taxes and employee-related regulations, and the unions with their demands it's no wonder manufacturing in the U.S. is not competitive.

Quote:
The Unions are being used to drive US manufacturing out of the country, this is by design, transfer of wealth..
That actually is one theory with some very valid data points. But I guarantee you those who belong to unions, virtually all of them anyway, have no clue what's going on politically and do what their union reps tell them in order to keep their job.

Quote:
GM is looking for an international buyer...they are building up the stock value as they are courting buyers.
Did that potential deal with China fall through or are they still working on it?

It bears mentioning that today GM sells more cars in China than in the U.S. If currency wars escalate (which they will), China may squeeze U.S. imports thus hurting GM.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. You said listen to the last statement made, which was:

"Sources in Dearborn say privately that this is the sort of facility Ford would love to build in the U.S. if only the UAW, historically averse to this sort of supplier integration, would allow it."The tail wags the dog. The company wants to do something, but the union representing employees won't allow it.

Cost of production should be pretty similar, but employee costs are very high in the U.S. Between meeting government obligations around taxes and employee-related regulations, and the unions with their demands it's no wonder manufacturing in the U.S. is not competitive.

That actually is one theory with some very valid data points. But I guarantee you those who belong to unions, virtually all of them anyway, have no clue what's going on politically and do what their union reps tell them in order to keep their job.

Did that potential deal with China fall through or are they still working on it?

It bears mentioning that today GM sells more cars in China than in the U.S. If currency wars escalate (which they will), China may squeeze U.S. imports thus hurting GM.
I look at that from the point of the big picture...not just the 'integration' but the entire concept of the way the plant produces. IOWs if it is not labor and employee intensive the UAW will not allow it. And I agree, the tail wags the dog.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads