Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
an unregulated militia

I was watching a crazy looking guy be interviewed about his escape from law enforcement in the Davis mountains of West Texas when they mentioned he was part of the Texas Militia.

It goes downhill from there.

Quote:
The following letter was entered in evidence.

The Secretary of State of the united States, Warren Christopher

Dear Mr. Christopher;

CAUSE:

On this day, our diplomatic ambassador, Richard Lance, McLaren, was
captured and forcefully removed from his private property. He is
presently
being detained by U.S. marshals in a place unknown. The Republic
denounces
your vicious and unlawful attack on one of our sovereign citizens.

The Republic of Texas:

As you also know, the Republic is a neutral nation as declared by the
General Council on the 27th day of December, the year of our Lord one
thousand nine hundred and ninety-five. We have no army, air force, or
navy;
the only protection we have are our natural rights and the aid of God
almighty. We have the truth. The truth is that on the twelfth and
thirteenth of December in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred
and ninety-five, the body politic known as the Davis Mountains Land
Commission lawfully removed the Republic of Texas from under war powers
following your own rules of military procedure. You were given notice and
grace; you did not object. In fact NO ONE objected, not even the Hague.
The
Republic of Texas, by your own failure, is now a Sovereign Nation, under
the law of nations. The Republic fulfills ALL criteria of a body politic
and a nation under the law of nations. We have a Citizenry of people that
willingly pledge allegiance to our country. We have a functioning
provisional government for the benefit of these people; we have a lawful
court, under American common law; and we have a fully funded treasury in
gold and silver coin. We are a lawful country.

Your public policy cannot be justified by fraud. You had notice and grace
in the matter of the re-establishment of the Republic of Texas. You made
NO
objections. The Republic of Texas should be no different to you by law
than
the Balkan Republics were to the Russians. You set the precedent by
supporting their "break-away" on the floor of the United Nations. Your
timely opportunity to object in the re-instatement of the Republic of
Texas
has passed. By your own law, failure to object is final.
Pecos Enterprise, Mclaren

Quote:
NEWS
2 Militants Still at Large After Texas Siege
May 5, 1997 | JESSE KATZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two armed militants remained at large in the Davis Mountains on Sunday, one of several loose ends from last week's anti-government standoff that continue to keep this tiny West Texas town on edge. A day after five compatriots surrendered to authorities outside their ramshackle hide-out, Richard Frank Keyes III and Mike Matson, both 21, were still nowhere to be found, despite a dragnet of mounted patrols, bloodhounds and military aircraft equipped with heat-seeking equipment.
NEWS
Separatist Siege Ends in Peaceful Surrender
May 4, 1997 | JESSE KATZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Heeding the pleas of his wife, who was coaxed from their hide-out by her own tearful children, self-styled militant Richard L. McLaren ended his armed standoff with authorities and surrendered Saturday, a week after vowing to turn these West Texas mountains into a modern-day Alamo.

NEWS
Neighbors of Texas 'Embassy' Seeing Red
May 3, 1997 | JESSE KATZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Until this week, few of Richard L. McLaren's neighbors thought he could mess up their lives any more than he already had. Sure, his half-cocked paper war long had clouded the natural splendor of their Davis Mountains Resort homes, his endless blizzard of bogus liens and petty lawsuits, common-law declarations and secessionist manifestoes forcing many of them to spend thousands of dollars--even bequeathing him acres of land--just so he would leave them alone.

NEWS
Separatist's Wife Pleads Not Guilty
June 4, 1997 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The wife of a Texas separatist leader who held off police last month in the mountains of west Texas pleaded not guilty to federal fraud and conspiracy charges. Evelyn McLaren, 50, said in a written statement to U.S. District Judge Joe Fish in Dallas that she was a "Texian," not a citizen of the United States, and therefore not bound by U.S. laws

National News Briefs; Separatist Group Leader Is Found Guilty in Texas
Richard McLaren, leader of the separatist Republic of Texas, is found guilty of writing millions of dollars in worthless checks for things like a Lear jet and clothes for his wife; seven followers are also convicted of fraud
April 15, 1998
MORE ON RICHARD MCLAREN AND: FRINGE GROUPS AND MOVEMENTS, FRAUDS AND SWINDLING, DECISIONS AND VERDICTS, REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

Hostages Taken in Standoff With Militant Texas Group
by SAM HOWE VERHOVEK
Published: Monday, April 28, 1997
Members of a militant group that holds that Texas is still an independent nation fired gunshots and took two people hostage today, describing them as "prisoners of war" who had been captured in retaliation for the arrests of two of the group's followers.

Early this evening, the dirt road leading to what the group calls its embassy, in the remote Davis Mountains of West Texas, was blocked off and at least 20 police and emergency vehicles swarmed around the scene.

The Texas Department of Public Safety said the Federal Bureau of Investigation had also been called to the area, and Officer Lucila Torres, a department spokeswoman at the scene, said, "Hostage negotiations are under way and ongoing."
Texas Rangers conduct raid on militant camp.
National News Briefs - Separatist Group Leader Is Found Guilty in Texas - NYTimes.com

Articles about Texas Revolts - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM  

Kent, Ohio
The US militia consists of most US citizens, per US law. This man has renounced his US citizenship. He is NOT a part of the US militia.

He could have called his organization the Texas National Guard. Had he done so, his actions would not discredit the National Guard. Why should they discredit the militia in general?

Referring to this man's organization as a "militia" is inaccurate. That term is used in constitutional and federal law to refer to something drastically different from this man's organization. Conflating the two definitions can have far reaching and disastrous repercussions. It is unfortunate that many groups that identify themselves as "militia" do so in contravention of US law and historical precedent.

This man is a separatist. His organization cannot be considered a part of the unorganized, US militia as defined in US code. His organization should be referred to as "armed separatists", not the militia.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
This man is a separatist. His organization cannot be considered a part of the unorganized, US militia as defined in US code. His organization should be referred to as "armed separatists", not the militia.
I have yet to encounter any group identifying as militia I could take seriously. google "militia" & read the links.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I have yet to encounter any group identifying as militia I could take seriously. google "militia" & read the links.
Agreed. The popular, contemporary use of the term has come to mean something rather contemptible in American society. They've usurped and corrupted the term.

The militia, as envisioned by the founding fathers and codified in US law is comprised of those people who flew a flag after 9/11. (metaphorically speaking, of course.)

The first group I think of when I think about true militia organizations (using the historical and/or legal definitions of "militia", instead of the corrupted, contemporary versions) is the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, and their marksmanship training program, "Project Appleseed". Project Appleseed Home

I don't think the RWVA self-identifies as a militia organization. Still, their activities and actions are consistent with what a modern militia group SHOULD be, namely, an organization that promotes and supports the constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
There are those who feel that America’s future is grim, that is, that America has lost something special and it can never be regained. And in their consternation they mutter about “dark choices” and the like. Appleseed has a message for them. Just over two hundred years ago our ancestors genuinely faced a tough choice. They could submit to those they felt were depriving them of their rights as Englishmen or they could fight. Because they chose as they did, we may never have to face their dilemma because we have a third alternative.

So what must you do with your third choice? Well, you must roll out of the recliner, cut off the computer, turn down the TV and get involved. That’s it. Talk to family, talk to friends, interact with neighbors, take part in local community decisions, and become active in whatever political party best fits your idea of how America should be governed. Write to your elected representative, attend town halls, correspond with newspaper editors, and wholeheartedly enter the discussion in both online and traditional forums.
(emphasis mine)

The focus of most so-called "militia" groups seems to be the exercise the second option - to fight. The focus of RWVA and Appleseed is the third option; the peaceful exercise of political authority.

Other true militia activities and groups I can think of are CCW classes, International Practical Shooting Confederation events, USPSA.org. These differ from pure sport-shooting in that they address legal and/or tactical issues surrounding use-of-force.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
The focus of most so-called "militia" groups seems to be the exercise the second option - to fight. The focus of RWVA and Appleseed is the third option; the peaceful exercise of political authority.
Sadly that 3rd option is in this case the "road less traveled"

The movie "Red Dawn" was worth me renting a room to get the channel it premiered on. Something similar would happen if such an invasion ever happened. In such a case with a clearly defined enemy threat such groups could interdict supply and blow up bridges further extending already thin lines of supply.

The intention of a militia is not the overthrow of elected government at the whim of fringe politics.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Sadly that 3rd option is in this case the "road less traveled"
I don't think it's the "road less traveled" - I think the vast majority of people follow that road. It's the radical few who take that other road that everybody talks about.
Quote:

The movie "Red Dawn" was worth me renting a room to get the channel it premiered on. Something similar would happen if such an invasion ever happened. In such a case with a clearly defined enemy threat such groups could interdict supply and blow up bridges further extending already thin lines of supply.
Right. Those groups won't be led by the various so-called "militia" organizations. They'll be led by special forces, active duty soldiers, reservists, guardsmen, veterans, law enforcement officers... I suppose that if the highest authority was the quarterback of the high school football team, he'd be the leader, but you're scraping the bottom of the leadership barrel by that point.

Quote:

The intention of a militia is not the overthrow of elected government at the whim of fringe politics.
Exactly. The intention is of a militia is to share in the common defense, in support of or in the absence of professional forces. In my opinion, this includes "defense" whether the "attack" is a Russian invasion, a natural disaster, a gas station robbery, or a simple car wreck. The Organized Militia consists of the National Guard. Look at the nature of their mission - sometimes disaster relief, sometimes military activation, sometimes major law enforcement operations. The unorganized militia are the volunteers who perform those same activities.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
I suppose that if the highest authority was the quarterback of the high school football team, he'd be the leader, but you're scraping the bottom of the leadership barrel by that point.
Sure are, my last quarterback memory was Michael Vick leaving the game after getting his bell rung. I suspect nature will prevail and the most dominant Alpha gets the job. That's no guarantee he has a clue but at least he'll shoot at something.

I'm a bit concerned by a trend I see here in Oregon. It seems the morbidly obese on scooters here far outnumber those using them because of age or illness.
Yesterday a huge woman in a pink dress was floating down the sidewalk in my direction. Her massive bod almost completely obscured her scooter (which should have been a forklift). I just hope the militia is ready for a new look in cavalry.
an unregulated militia-rollin.jpg 

Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:

Sure are, my last quarterback memory was Michael Vick leaving the game after getting his bell rung. I suspect nature will prevail and the most dominant Alpha gets the job. That's no guarantee he has a clue but at least he'll shoot at something.

I'm a bit concerned by a trend I see here in Oregon. It seems the morbidly obese on scooters here far outnumber those using them because of age or illness.
Yesterday a huge woman in a pink dress was floating down the sidewalk in my direction. Her massive bod almost completely obscured her scooter (which should have been a forklift). I just hope the militia is ready for a new look in cavalry.
heh. It's a good thing the militia is unorganized. Articles 115 (Malingering) and/or 134 (Self-injury without intent to avoid service) of the UCMJ would otherwise apply to the fatties.

Not that anyone would ever accuse me of being anorexic, of course, but I can carry a daypack and a shotgun into the woods, and haul a deer out, under my own power.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
heh. It's a good thing the militia is unorganized. Articles 115 (Malingering) and/or 134 (Self-injury without intent to avoid service) of the UCMJ would otherwise apply to the fatties.

Not that anyone would ever accuse me of being anorexic, of course, but I can carry a daypack and a shotgun into the woods, and haul a deer out, under my own power.
I'd heard more lenient standards allow some fatties to join these days. If you've seen the untucked new look in uniforms you have to wonder if the camo is meant to hide more than just the soldier.

Never killed a deer but I'm interested in learning what hauling an elk out might entail? That's one big animal to drag through rough country.

Do you carve it in place and backpack out the meat or can two guys actually drag a gutted elk out alone?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:

I'd heard more lenient standards allow some fatties to join these days. If you've seen the untucked new look in uniforms you have to wonder if the camo is meant to hide more than just the soldier.
In my experience, it actually does the reverse, making soldiers - especially females - look much bigger than they actually are. When I first joined, I served with a female Soldier who I always thought was a tubbo due to her round face and huge uniform. It was the better part of a year before I saw her in civilian clothes. Turns out she had the chest of a 250lb BBW, but the body of a 90lb high-school cheerleader. She ended up getting reduction surgery, still ended up with DD's

Quote:

Never killed a deer but I'm interested in learning what hauling an elk out might entail? That's one big animal to drag through rough country.

Do you carve it in place and backpack out the meat or can two guys actually drag a gutted elk out alone?
No elk around here. I've seen photos of an elk stuffed into the back of a Jeep, and kept thinking "poor Jeep". We had two deer on a hitch rack behind my Jeep and it wasn't looking half as sorry-looking as that photo.

*I* wouldn't want to haul an elk without mechanical assistance or three friends, but I suppose two guys could probably make it happen. Where we usually hunt, we only have to drag our whitetails a half-mile or so.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!