Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
In my experience, it actually does the reverse, making soldiers - especially females - look much bigger than they actually are. When I first joined, I served with a female Soldier who I always thought was a tubbo due to her round face and huge uniform. It was the better part of a year before I saw her in civilian clothes. Turns out she had the chest of a 250lb BBW, but the body of a 90lb high-school cheerleader. She ended up getting reduction surgery, still ended up with DD's
Perhaps that was the intention? Unisex soldiers address several potential problems.

I saw a 30 year old brunette Marine on the news choking back tears at being allowed to be an openly gay Marine. I was happy for her but what a loss to our team.

Quote:
No elk around here. I've seen photos of an elk stuffed into the back of a Jeep, and kept thinking "poor Jeep". We had two deer on a hitch rack behind my Jeep and it wasn't looking half as sorry-looking as that photo.

*I* wouldn't want to haul an elk without mechanical assistance or three friends, but I suppose two guys could probably make it happen. Where we usually hunt, we only have to drag our whitetails a half-mile or so.

No offroad capability on my part.

On the way up Santiam Pass over the Cascades there's a field of cows hidden away in the hills. As evening nears the cows are replaced by elk. Lots of elk. The downside is those hills are full of hunters from that area and if I know about it they knew 25 years ago,

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Perhaps that was the intention? Unisex soldiers address several potential problems.
Unisex uniforms certainly do.
Quote:

I saw a 30 year old brunette Marine on the news choking back tears at being allowed to be an openly gay Marine. I was happy for her but what a loss to our team.
Air Force Core Values start out: "Integrity First"
Army includes "Respect", "Honor", "Integrity"
Navy and Marines include "Honor" and "Commitment"
Coast Guard include "Honor" and "Respect"

The way DADT was implemented, it was impossible for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines, and the 5 services to uphold those values. DADT created a poisonous environment for everyone. It forced everyone, from the newest recruit to 4-star generals to choose between loyalty to their siblings in arms, and their duty to obey orders. It destroyed the ability to make an honorable decision. It damaged the integrity of every last serviceman.

The policy was being openly mocked up and down the chain when I joined in 1999. In my units, the policy was treated as demeaning and insulting to ALL members. When questioning the policy, I had several lower-ranked NCOs tell me flat out that the command didn't want to hear about homosexuality in the ranks; that DADT briefings were only conducted because of some bureaucratic requirement; and that commanders actually conducted them, rather than cooking the books, out of a sense of integrity.

In my units, those purposefully outing homosexual servicemen were treated as outcasts. Not one of the *many* gay people I served with was actually separated under DADT. Every person I know of who was separated was actually a straight person who couldn't handle the lifestyle of a serviceman.

In all fairness, what Clinton ordered and what was delivered were two entirely different things. Clinton had a choice between an outright ban on homosexuality in the services, or a compromise, where being gay was permitted, so long as the services weren't forced to acknowledge or support homosexuality. What Clinton ordered was the right for soldiers to participate in gay pride parades, so long as they weren't in uniform. What was delivered was a policy where if a mailman delivering a package to your off-base residence notices you holding hands with a person of the same sex, and mentions it to the commander, you could lose your career and pension.

DADT was a necessary evil, but one that should have been gone a decade ago.

Quote:

No offroad capability on my part.

On the way up Santiam Pass over the Cascades there's a field of cows hidden away in the hills. As evening nears the cows are replaced by elk. Lots of elk. The downside is those hills are full of hunters from that area and if I know about it they knew 25 years ago,
mmm... cow... When are they in season?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Not one of the *many* gay people I served with was actually separated under DADT. Every person I know of who was separated was actually a straight person who couldn't handle the lifestyle of a serviceman.
Wow! You answered my big question about this. They said 14,000 servicemen were discharged for homosexuality under DADT. WTF???

How could 14,000 people be so dumb?

Now I see the repeal closed a loophole for the uncommitted. thanks

Cows are in season 5 minutes after the SHTF. Small gun shops in 10 minutes.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Wow! You answered my big question about this. They said 14,000 servicemen were discharged for homosexuality under DADT. WTF???

How could 14,000 people be so dumb?

Now I see the repeal closed a loophole for the uncommitted. thanks

Cows are in season 5 minutes after the SHTF. Small gun shops in 10 minutes.
The unit commanders I served under from 1999 to 2005 had apparent disdain for DADT. I don't know how rigorous other commanders from 1993 to 2010 were in investigating and separating homosexual personnel. I've heard horror stories, but never witnessed them.

I know of one person who was caught in a compromising situation, but who stated that he was not prone to homosexual activities. He was not found to have violated DADT. That statement gave the commander the excuse he needed to retain him.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

quite unprofessional but I blame a law that conceded too much to it's critics.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.