Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
USA-USA chant portrays ?neither patriotism nor remembrance?

*self edit* I have nothing civil to say about this "person"

Quote:
Block-I chant portrays ?neither patriotism nor remembrance?

David Green, University Academic Professional

The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere; that the motives of the 9/11 attackers had nothing to do with genuine grievances in the Islamic world regarding American imperialism; and that the U.S. has been justified in the subsequent killing of hundreds of thousands in so-called retaliation.

The observance at Saturday?s football game was no different. A moment of silence was followed by a military airplane flyover; in between, Block-I students chanted ?USA, USA.? This was neither patriotism nor remembrance in any justifiable sense, but politicization, militarism, propaganda and bellicosity. The University is a public institution that encompasses the political views of all, not just the most (falsely) ?patriotic.? Athletic planners should cease such exploitation for political purposes. They might at least consider how most Muslim students, American or otherwise, would respond to this nativist display; or better, Muslims and others that live their lives under the threat of our planes, drones and soldiers.

The overwhelmingly white, privileged, Block-I students should be ashamed of their obnoxious, fake-macho, chicken-hawk chant, while poverty-drafted members of their cohort fight and die in illegal and immoral wars for the control of oil. University administrators need to eliminate from all events such ?patriotic? observances, which in this country cannot be separated from implicit justifications for state-sponsored killing.

David Green,

University Academic Professional
You have to read the comments here-->> Block-I chant portrays

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
What school is this guy at?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
University of Illinois.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah, score another one for Illinois...

I'd love to meet this guy, and hang out with him a bit.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!