Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM  

No illegals here!
Quote:
Sweet Home ALObama: A Southern Hospitality Suite at DNC ...
Guests entering the 3rd Street Gate on Tuesday and Wednesday must present a valid drivers license along with Sweet Home event ticket to be granted access.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
No illegals here!
Show me the constitutionally protected right to attend the DNC.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM  
American

Show me the constitutionally protected right of a non citizen to vote.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
Show me the constitutionally protected right of a non citizen to vote.
Can't. But what I can show you is the constitutionally protected right of a citizen to vote, and I can show you that the constitution places the burden of proof a person's ineligibility on the government. Due process, innocent until proven guilty, etc.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Can't. But what I can show you is the constitutionally protected right of a citizen to vote, and I can show you that the constitution places the burden of proof a person's ineligibility on the government. Due process, innocent until proven guilty, etc.
So does that mean that someone could show up from nowhere and have absolutely no form of any ID whatsoever... Not even fingerprints, and it would be up to the government to PROVE that they were not born in the US somewhere. If that is the case, how in the world would they be able to prove they WEREN'T a citizen? They would have to let them vote? I understand what you are saying and it very well may be the case. Doesn't it sound a bit ridiculous though?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
So does that mean that someone could show up from nowhere and have absolutely no form of any ID whatsoever... Not even fingerprints, and it would be up to the government to PROVE that they were not born in the US somewhere. If that is the case, how in the world would they be able to prove they WEREN'T a citizen? They would have to let them vote? I understand what you are saying and it very well may be the case. Doesn't it sound a bit ridiculous though?
As a general principal, no, it's not the least bit ridiculous. As an absolute law, yes, it's pretty ridiculous.

Voter registration is a justifiable intrusion on the right to vote. But because photo IDs can be lost or stolen, photo IDs are not justifiable intrusions. A government that abridges a citizen's right to vote for lack of photo ID has violated that citizen's rights, half a dozen amendments, and the fundamental principles of the constitution.

I support registration. I support a requirement that the individual claiming the right to vote must positively link himself to that claim - whether that's with a photo ID card or a thumbprint.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM  

I was reading a book and watching/listening to Charlie Rose at the same time so I don't know the lady's name or title, but Charlie's guest was a lady who is an expert on voting machine problems. What got my attention was when he asked a question about a specific problem, her answer was we don't know if we don't check. Bingo, that's my position on voter fraud, you don't know if you don't check.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
.....I support registration. I support a requirement that the individual claiming the right to vote must positively link himself to that claim - whether that's with a photo ID card or a thumbprint.
As long as there is some form of POSITIVE identification I'm fine with it. Fingerprint sounds good to me as on option if you would rather do that than have a photo ID.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
As long as there is some form of POSITIVE identification I'm fine with it. Fingerprint sounds good to me as on option if you would rather do that than have a photo ID.
Photo ID doesn't really work with absentee ballots. But it's a fairly trivial exercise to get a thumbprint on an absentee ballot. Of what little voter fraud does actually occur, the majority of it is with absentee ballots. Any solution we find should address that.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.