Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM  

Wake up America!

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever.. The self-serving must stop. Maybe the NEW members of Congress can make some changes (but I doubt it)

Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM  

Rochester, New York
Hi Cardon and welcome.

You're right -- congress sucks out loud and they have for some time. They take liberties and do things that would get anyone in the private sector fired immediately. They set standards for We the Little People and set themselves above the fray so they don't have to endure the fallout of their short-sighted decisions. They have no grasp of the constitution and now openly admit they can do anything they want; the constitution be damned.

As bad as congress is -- and it is bad -- this sort of thing is endemic to all branches of the federal government and it exists in state and local governments, too.

The only thing that will fix the problem is an electorate that gives a damn. Many folks have woken up and many more wake up daily. Time will tell whether or not it's enough.

But I am concerned the bigger problem -- brought to us by truly evil and stupid politicians and bankers -- is not something that can be fixed without a great deal of discomfort for everybody.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM  
Poison Idea

The government was never supposed to last thing long. We were given by our forefathers endless opportunities to dissent and challenge the status quo, but we've grown complacent and we're far too eager to give up liberty for security. The American public no longer has a backbone. We'd rather give up personal responsibility for common comforts. We're long due for another revolution; the South had it right, but it won't happen again.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM  
Poison Idea

And I had the utmost hopes for the Tea Party to bring on a Libertarian movement in this country, but it's been invaded and ruined by partisan, bandwagon Republicans like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
And I had the utmost hopes for the Tea Party to bring on a Libertarian movement in this country, but it's been invaded and ruined by partisan, bandwagon Republicans like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.
I'm a pretty hard-core libertarian and I occasionally listen to Beck in the morning. He's no more republican than I am and aligns himself as a libertarian. What, exactly, has he done to torpedo the libertarian movement?

As for Palin, I can't comment. She strikes me as a right-leaning politician but not a libertarian. But again, I can't see how she has had any sway one way or another on libertarians.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
whose name?

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't mention Sarah Palin's name

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads