Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 PM  

Reno, Nevada
Best place along the Reno to Vegas drive?

Okay so I've done this drive roughly one million times. It's essentially 430 miles of nothing (interesting or otherwise) with about 10 miles of "meh, it was something."

However, there are some landmarks that tend to stick out. Which is your favorite?

Mine? The shoetree north(??) of Walker Lake. While approaching it, it appears to be a willow with a lot of hanging branches. But as you get closer you notice the foliage is actually shoes with their laces tied together and flung over the large branches. It appears to be long dead but the travelers keep it alive!

I remember one year someone took down all of the shoes (DAG-GUM GOV'MENTS!) and they cut back the branches slightly... but that didn't stop people from giving life back to the ancient tree.

And this isn't on US-95 between Reno and Vegas.... but anybody from the Reno/Sparks/Verdi area notice that when you are coming back into Nevada on I-80, on the welcome sign just below "Welcome to Nevada" reads, in small lovingly written out words, "Go Back to California." Makes me laugh every time.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM  
Been Around

Springfield, SD
I thought those shoes came from transferring servicemen who did not want to return that base.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM  
Gasman

N. Las Vegas, Nevada
thats not the Shoetree that some a^%hole cut down is it?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 AM  

Such an incredibly boring drive that it is not worth mentioning anything that is interesting in between. I will say that the nature in between is nice in places. You can grow to appreciate the desert landscape. It really is nice. Some of the mountain ranges are cool to look at as well.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada
Bookmark this Page!