Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM  

Medford, New Jersey
2x as much!

Funny you should say that- we are currently pondering a 10 gallon batch of Bock...(we usually do 5g's). We just jumped into into kegging, (again that cost thing), and I am so glad to be rid of washing and sanitizing bottles!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM  

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hey Everyone, I live near Montclair, I'd be interested if someone were going to start a homebrew / tasting club. I know Corrodos is less than ideal but they are the only game in town that I know of. I've had good luck ordering from Northern Brewer with their flat rate shipping. Any of you try to grow hops? I made my first harvest this year, I was really happy with how they turned out.
Hi James, I am in Bergen County also... more towards Paramus/.

What hops did you grow and how did they do? Any pictures of your setup?

I did not get into brewing until well into the season. We grew tons of vegetables and I plan to grow hops in 2011.

For purchases, I really do not buy much at Corrado's. I have found that if I order enough at once, it is cheaper to order organic ingredients from breworganic.com than buy locally. It is nice to have the option of Corrado's though.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 AM  

FLEMINGTON, NEW JERSEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelofMedford View Post
Funny you should say that- we are currently pondering a 10 gallon batch of Bock...(we usually do 5g's). We just jumped into into kegging, (again that cost thing), and I am so glad to be rid of washing and sanitizing bottles!

just did my first keg a couple months ago and it is oh so nice
Old 11-23-2010, 04:19 PM  

New York, New Jersey
I bought two cascade and two nugget rhizomes from fresh hops. I planted them inside in late March in pots and moved them outside in mid-April. They climbed to the top of the 10 foot trellis by July or so, then I harvested on Labor day. It more than filled a 5 gal bucket. I watered them about every day that it didn't rain and I used miracle grow a few times too. I'm really happy with the way they turned out!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 AM  

New York City, New Jersey
Here's a fun one, did you NJ homebrewers (and wine-makers) know that you're supposed to have a permit to brew in NJ? $15 for beer, $15 for wine. Our state sucks...

So who actually gets the permit each year?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM  

Randolph, New Jersey
Permit???? News to me... I feel like such an outlaw now!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM  
Creature Of The Wheel

East Hanover, New Jersey
Yea its been around for a while now. $15 and it allows you to brew up to 200 gallons for home consumption. There is no real way for them to monitor how much you brew, but as with all things in New Jersey the state just wants to get paid.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM  

Island Heights, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
all you guys are too far north, i hate traveling for tastings lol.. i get most of my stuff at the brewers apprentice also. seems the only game in town at the moment..
I've been to the brewer's apprentice a few times. Not a huge fan. Advice I've gotten there has always been shady - and offered as if it shouldn't ever be questioned. Wish there was a local place, but I'm sticking with northernbrewer.com these days.

All grain or partial?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:44 AM  

Medford, New Jersey
brewing store in Westmont/Collingswood

Hi Guys-
Just wanted to throw it out there that there is a good brewing supplies store in Westmont/Collingswood called 'Brew Your Own Bottle'. These guys seem to know their stuff. I 'tested' them with a tricky tecnical AG question, and they were all over it. Its a small place, but seems to have good stuff- beginner and advanced. I have no affiliation to the store- I just think it is really important to support your local brew supply place!!
Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 AM  

FLEMINGTON, NEW JERSEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
Here's a fun one, did you NJ homebrewers (and wine-makers) know that you're supposed to have a permit to brew in NJ? $15 for beer, $15 for wine. Our state sucks...

So who actually gets the permit each year?
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING !!!

doesn't NJ have anything better to do then find ways to take $$$$ from hard working people? you would think with all the crap they charge you for in permits for every thing that they would have the lowest taxes around

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!