Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM  

Camdem, New Jersey
Blue Law question

Do restaurants have to go by the Blue Laws in the state? Does anyone know if they are the exception?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM  

Piscataway, NJ
No, the blue law doesn't apply to restaurants, supermarkets, or gas stations that I can tell. I visit my inlaws up in Paramus often on Sundays because the traffic is less but the diners and such are open.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM  

Lodi, NJ
There is talk about Governor Christie want to end the blue law in order to increase business for Xanadu once it opens
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM  

Haskell, nj
I think that's an alright idea to get businesses a little oomph.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM  

Old Bridge, NJ
Rutherford, which has a nice down town area has some rules that don't allow restaurants to sell liquor/wine/beer. There is a cafe that has has a store inside of it, with a separate entrance at the street level, right next to the cafe entrance (think DC looks like its sort of inside Maryland). I think they have to operate as separate businesses, but basically everyone buys their wine there and goes into the cafe to eat.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM  

Ridgefield Park, NJ
A lot of Blue Law enforcement is town specific. Paramus being the most notorious followers - but if you go into a lot of the smaller towns you can still go to a hardware store or shop.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM  

some of those are crazy
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 AM  

NJ
Blue Law?

Ok......guess I'm behind. What's the 'Blue Law'?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM  

yeah whats the "Blue law"?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 AM  

Bergen County, NJ
Blue laws restrict the sale of goods on sunday. As stated above towns can choose to be more or less restrictive or not participate at all. Many towns in bergen county still restict purchases to essentials such as food and gas. It seems to stem from a time when the majority in the area participated in the "sunday is a day of rest" mindset.

As far as the Original question, restaraunts would be exempt from blue laws as far as I can tell since they sell food. I know some do close on sundays, but I would imagine that has more to do with lack of traffic generated due to surounding stores being closed.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads