Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 AM  

Clinton, New Jersey
POTHOLES & What you gotta do

I think, a topic of some general interest.
-
Potholes. With the winter being as ugly as it has, there will be potholes on high speed highways some so massive that they pose a hazard of lethal proportion.
With state and county budgets tight there will be potholes going unattended.
-
NJ has a statutory scheme that lets them deny you damages unless you can prove that (a) the state was timely apprised of the hazard (the legal doctrine is called "notice") and (b) you jump through their hurdles using their paperwork on their schedule
-
Solve for (a) by sending a letter - a real bona fide paper letter with a postage stamp - to the Commissioner of the DOT in your state copy the Maintenance/Engineering people too, and if it's a country road the commissioner of the country DOT or highway engineer's office too. Tell them where the pot holes are: In NJ, they usually demand to know the Highway Mile Marker, Which Lane (north south east west), Municipality, and County. It is also a very good idea to tell them how big the hole is X feet by X feet by X depth.

Send it to:
James S. Simpson, Commissioner
Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 600
Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
((((His secretary will forward it to the right people.))))

PLUS
The NJ DOT has recently created a web page for reporting road hazards online and you should use it AND send the paper letter.
Find it here:
Contact NJDOT

Here's a page with county roadway office Phone Numbers
County Pothole Hotline, Pothole Reporting, Commuter Information
-
That's it. Once you tell them, then they have notice. There's no need for threats or strong language.
Send it certified if you are a little un-trusting. Then, of course, do your dammedest to avoid the bloody holes.
-
And then IF you DO hit a pothole and suffer damage here is a page with the info you need
Pothole Reporting, Commuter Information
Pothole Damage Claims:
To file a pothole damage claim, please contact the Department of Treasury's Office of Risk Management at 609-292-4347 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
They'll send you whatever you need.

!!!!!!~BUT YOU ONLY HAVE A BRIEF PERIOD TO DO IT~!!!!!!!
-------- It used to be shorter, but now it is 90 Days---------

These measures won't guarantee that you will get compensated, but it will ensure that any legal options (like suing) will remain open to you in case they blow you off.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM  

wow thanks! I'm saving these links for future reference....I just wish that some of these roads would get some serious attention after this winter; the ice has not been kind!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM  

Some of those holes are getting monstrous after that last rain and freeze up
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM  

Bergen County, NJ
seems like it would be easier if everyone carried some blacktop patch.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM  

I'm down 2 rims already!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM  

Good stuff, my skid plate saved my life a few times...but im up to a set of wheels a year now from pot holes (400 miles a week)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM  

Clinton, New Jersey
Mine got fixed

I reported two car swallowing monsters
One was about 4 feet by 2 feet and 6 " deep the other was only 3 feet long
The DOT fixed them within a week and a half of my reporting them

Now I gotta send the Commissioner a nice letter thanking him for his prompt attention. People do like to be thanked for doing their jobs well - or even at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM  

There are some nasty pot holes out there. One claimed my brand new tire I put on 4 weeks earlier.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM  

Nerwton, New Jersey
wait so if you get say a blow out like i did last week you can email the NJDOT and ask for compensation?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
I think, a topic of some general interest.
-
Potholes. With the winter being as ugly as it has, there will be potholes on high speed highways some so massive that they pose a hazard of lethal proportion.
With state and county budgets tight there will be potholes going unattended.
-
NJ has a statutory scheme that lets them deny you damages unless you can prove that (a) the state was timely apprised of the hazard (the legal doctrine is called "notice") and (b) you jump through their hurdles using their paperwork on their schedule
-
Solve for (a) by sending a letter - a real bona fide paper letter with a postage stamp - to the Commissioner of the DOT in your state copy the Maintenance/Engineering people too, and if it's a country road the commissioner of the country DOT or highway engineer's office too. Tell them where the pot holes are: In NJ, they usually demand to know the Highway Mile Marker, Which Lane (north south east west), Municipality, and County. It is also a very good idea to tell them how big the hole is X feet by X feet by X depth.

Send it to:
James S. Simpson, Commissioner
Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 600
Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
((((His secretary will forward it to the right people.))))

PLUS
The NJ DOT has recently created a web page for reporting road hazards online and you should use it AND send the paper letter.
Find it here:
Contact NJDOT

Here's a page with county roadway office Phone Numbers
County Pothole Hotline, Pothole Reporting, Commuter Information
-
That's it. Once you tell them, then they have notice. There's no need for threats or strong language.
Send it certified if you are a little un-trusting. Then, of course, do your dammedest to avoid the bloody holes.
-
And then IF you DO hit a pothole and suffer damage here is a page with the info you need
Pothole Reporting, Commuter Information
Pothole Damage Claims:
To file a pothole damage claim, please contact the Department of Treasury's Office of Risk Management at 609-292-4347 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
They'll send you whatever you need.

!!!!!!~BUT YOU ONLY HAVE A BRIEF PERIOD TO DO IT~!!!!!!!
-------- It used to be shorter, but now it is 90 Days---------

These measures won't guarantee that you will get compensated, but it will ensure that any legal options (like suing) will remain open to you in case they blow you off.
I don't mind the pot holes in the JEEP so much. Try them in my other car, a BMW 328 with 18" rims. I've owned the car for two years and have already destroyed two sets of front tires!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!