Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM  

Seaside Heights, What Happen to You?

Growing up I spent my youth at the Jersey Shore all summer long - Seaside Heights (growing up) was the coolest place, the boardwalk, the shops - crabbing and fishing, it had it all.

Then in the Summer of 2002 MTV decided to host Total Request Live from Seaside Heights and after that it all went downhill.

I walk down the boardwalk now and see lude shirts that say, "I swallow" (a father's dream right there), beer bongs at every arcade, Ompa Loopas everywhere, Snooki Fried Snadwiches (WTF is a Snooki? I mean I've seen the Jersey Shore show, but come on!)... what used to be a family town is just meh.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Seaside Heights just went down the tubes?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM  

Atlantic City, New Jersey
Because I am a young and naive teenager, I plan on going to Seaside Heights this summer and having the time of my life. I guess this can be said to Wildwood, Brigantine, Atlantic City, ect too. From the photos I've seen, back in the 60s, the Jersey Shore was one hell of a place. Most of the places are gone, now it's just some place where rich people from Pennsylvania or New York buy a summer home and stay there a few weeks of the year.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM  

Seaside is a pretty trashy place to go now a days, I live 10 min. From the bridge and I maybe go there 5 times a year. I'd say mtv exploited it a bit, but seaside in the winter is all low income rentals which helps bring a new element into the area. As for the trash being sold on the boards....that's just society were living in today.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 AM  

It really did start with MTV, but the place has been going downhill even before that. I blame all the attactions off the beach. It gave people reasons to ignore the beach and you started getting crowds that weren't there for the Ocean. (Jersey Shore being an example of such a group)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM  

If you really want to enjoy the Jersey shore and get a better experience of what it can be like, seaside heights isn't really the town to visit.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Growing up I spent my youth at the Jersey Shore all summer long - Seaside Heights (growing up) was the coolest place, the boardwalk, the shops - crabbing and fishing, it had it all.

Then in the Summer of 2002 MTV decided to host Total Request Live from Seaside Heights and after that it all went downhill.

I walk down the boardwalk now and see lude shirts that say, "I swallow" (a father's dream right there), beer bongs at every arcade, Ompa Loopas everywhere, Snooki Fried Snadwiches (WTF is a Snooki? I mean I've seen the Jersey Shore show, but come on!)... what used to be a family town is just meh.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Seaside Heights just went down the tubes?
Your memory is clouded by nostalgia Seaside has always been a dump.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM  

Toms River, NJ
The "north jersey" people are creeping further an further south. It's not just Seaside. It's Brick, TR, Lacey, "Barneghetto", et al. Ocean County used to be a nice quiet suburban area. It was GREAT place to grow up in the 70's & 80's. Now there's more violent crime, burglaries, drugs, and juvenile delinquents driving pimped out rice-burners blasting crappy rap/techno music at 2am.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM  

NJ, Some where North of South Jersey
Theres less and less "nice" places to visit in NJ, unless you go to a tropical island. From what I know more and more people are doing that and saying screw NJ beaches!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!