Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2010, 04:55 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Severe storm, tornados in New York City

Fast-moving storm packing tornado conditions tears across New York City with winds pushing 100 mph

Quote:
A fast-moving storm packing 100 mph winds, hail and heavy rain Thursday triggered a series of tornado warnings Thursday afternoon in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens.

The storm slammed the city about about 5:20 p.m. prompting the National Weather Service to issue its first tornado warning for Staten Island.

Link--->> Fast-moving storm packing tornado conditions tears across New York City with winds pushing 100 mph

Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
update in the above link: One death from storm

Pic of tornado near Statue of Liberty

Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I didn't even know you guys had the possibility of tornadoes. Did anyone actually get to see one? They are pretty scary.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
It's pretty obvious that they are following me from Indiana,,

I remember a few tornadoes in Connecticut back in the 80's, rare but it does happen outside of "Tornado Alley"
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
2 tornadoes struck NYC during storm

Quote:
The storm that churned through New York City spawned two destructive tornadoes and a fierce macroburst with wind speeds up to 125 mph that barreled across a large swath of Brooklyn and Queens, authorities said Friday.
The Associated Press: Authorities: 2 tornadoes struck NYC during storm
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM  

New York, New York
I live on Long Island, and we barely had any storm at all when this hit. But my brother found this video of it,
. If I was in that apartment and saw that, I don't know what I would have done. It's scary just watching the video, let alone seeing that live through a window. Obviously tornados can really happen anywhere, but you definitely don't think they're going to hit NYC. Some friends of mine were commuting back out to Long Island during this and they were telling me of the devestation that was occuring as far out as Queens. Scary stuff, indeed.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM  

Wilmington, North Carolina
Stumbled across this video yesterday on Weather.com: Today's top forecasts

I was really surprised to see the force of the winds swirling in between the buildings like that.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
That's crazy.. Bad enough when you're out in the open but being in the city? Man, that could be really bad..
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM  

White Plains, NY
We had a twister in Westchester a couple of summers ago; at that time I found the possibility of tornadoes in the Northeast surprising, now not so much.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > New York City
Bookmark this Page!