Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Another Judge Blocks CigaretteTax for Indians

Quote:
Another federal judge is blocking New York State from collecting taxes on cigarettes sold by Indian tribes, until he decides whether to grant the Mohawk Indians' request for an injunction.

They claim the taxes violate tribal sovereignty.

A mid level state appeals court earlier this week cleared the state's plan to tax cigarettes sold to non-Indians from the reservation. But under a separate federal court order, the Senecas and Cayugas are exempt through September 28.

Link--->> Another Judge Blocks CigaretteTax for Indians - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM  

I wonder if they will try the same with alcohol?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I wonder if they will try the same with alcohol?
Do they make their own beer/wine/booze on reservations and sell it? If so, that might be a target in the future. But cigs are where the money is right now.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM  
Brad

Plattsburgh, New York
They dont make their own booze AFAIK, but they do make their own Cigs, I don't understand why NY is trying to tax them, they live on Sovereign Ground!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM  

I've been to alot of Indian reservations and purchased cigarettes, but all I saw were commercially manufactured ones like Marlboro, Camel, etc.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM  
Brad

Plattsburgh, New York
Up here near Massena there is the Mohawk reservation, and you can buy a bag of like 50 cigs for like 5 bucks, but its like drinking straight black coffee when you usually drink light stuff, lol.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 PM  

Oceanside, New York
Same for All

Once the tribes are recognized as sovereign nations the rules should be applied universally. We have rules that set aside special consideration for tribes. Like any nation with whom we engage in trade taxes, tariffs, and trade measures should be applied equally. I would like to spend some time learning more about the process, procedure, and rules
Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 PM  

I'm thinking the gripe would be when the Sovereign Nation purchases U.S. manufactured cigarettes, without the need to pay state and federal taxes, but then turn around and sells the cigarettes to Americans at a discounted rate. I can see the government crying foul on this, if I am correct.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 AM  

Poughkeepsie, ny
why can't we just put people in Albany who will stop the spending,bust the unions who have us in their grip and are breaking us with their state tax payer funded pensions and other demands.

If Albany did get the sales tax, it would be just a bandaid for a couple yrs, next they would try to sell the land to China or someplace else to get enough money for a couple more yrs. NY is broke and the spending, social programs, tax payer funded retirement plans have to go.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM  

I can assure you that China and other foreign investors are already purchasing more land than you would care to know about. It's happening all over the country!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads