Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
I passed my physical today. Hopefully start training Monday night if the Dr's office forwards my results to the admin and training officer promptly. I believe I'm in for 13 weeks of compulsory rookie training but should get checked out fairly quickly (possibly this Monday according to the big cheese) to be able to start responding to calls based on my prior experience and certifications.
I plan on signing up for every coarse offered to get caught up and make up for my time away from firefighting..

I've been driving my kid the Explorer to the FD for calls and drills for a few weeks now, starting to be a bit torturous not being able to do anything,,

Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full..

I'm gonna lose interest before I even get started..

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full..

I'm gonna lose interest before I even get started..
Keep the faith, I'm sure they can use the help. So the cirts. you had before they did not accept?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Nah, It was 20 years ago, they asked and didn't mention much of any of my previous certs, I don't remember what half of them are never mind what I learned in them.. If something jogs my memory I may pursue tracking down some paperwork but it would probably serve everyone better if I just start over.

They/we are training 12 new recruits in this group. I suspect if one of them didn't get a physical last Sat that it might be holding up the rest of us from getting started. When I called about possible alternate appointment times the receptionist told me Dec 9th was the next available time slot.. So it might be a while..

Sooner or later,,
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Nah, It was 20 years ago, they asked and didn't mention much of any of my previous certs, I don't remember what half of them are never mind what I learned in them.. If something jogs my memory I may pursue tracking down some paperwork but it would probably serve everyone better if I just start over.

They/we are training 12 new recruits in this group. I suspect if one of them didn't get a physical last Sat that it might be holding up the rest of us from getting started. When I called about possible alternate appointment times the receptionist told me Dec 9th was the next available time slot.. So it might be a while..

Sooner or later,,
JCJ, If you took those classes and they were NYS courses, they would have them on record in Albany under your SS#. But, like you said it will not hurt to take FireFighter 1 as a good base to rebuild your knowledge off of. Goodluck with it and stay safe.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
They were in Connecticut Big Joe,

Our training officer has offered to inquire about them, I just don't see the point in padding my resume.

FF1 repeat is first on my list then repeat pump operator and then on to EMT which I have never done.
We generally don't do much MED calls here beyond mva's and code 1's but I hate being unable to help when I'm in a position to do some good. I don't care for the nasty stuff but I can't in good faith drive right by an emergency call and just respond to the fire house.

Thanks brother, you stay safe as well!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
They were in Connecticut Big Joe,

Our training officer has offered to inquire about them, I just don't see the point in padding my resume.

FF1 repeat is first on my list then repeat pump operator and then on to EMT which I have never done.
We generally don't do much MED calls here beyond mva's and code 1's but I hate being unable to help when I'm in a position to do some good. I don't care for the nasty stuff but I can't in good faith drive right by an emergency call and just respond to the fire house.

Thanks brother, you stay safe as well!
It would not hurt to have them in your records and like you said it will be very good to relearn stuff fresh. Pump Ops huh, no "hooking up and looking up" for me yet, but it's good to have guys who can pump the rig. I've taken the class and I enjoyed it, but still get the rush for being inside and doing the "truckie" jobs.

Had my EMT cirt. but have let it lapse, and my dept. does not run medical calls. I'm glad we don't run them, we could not handle the extra call volume. We do close to 900 calls a year with no medical runs. And then there's all those "nice" things you can bring home with you that other people have like HIV or HepB. You know the type that you don't even know their there until it's too late kind. I've never minded the blood and other matter or fluids I just always did not want it on me and miss it during decon and then find it much later and think, "who's F'n blood is this!? I don't recall being cut myself!

And if you do happen to be the first on the scene just remeber you can only do a small part of the "dance". You will be limited to what you can do without the rig and a crew to back each other up. DO NOT GET TUNNEL VISION! It can get you or someone else killed. If it's a wreck be sure the scene is safe to enter, have your gear on and have universal precautions (gloves) as well. If it's a fire, again you will be limited, do only what you can do safely.

The bottom line is that you and everyone on the crew goes home after the call. You did not cause the fire or that wreck or put that person in harms way. Your just a laborer in rubber boots there to clean up someone else mess.

If ya have any questions that the Brothers can't answer by you feel free to PM and I'll help out where I can. Stay Safe.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 PM  

Batavia, NY
I volunteered many many years ago now.... I know things have changed.... My life changed so I'm not able to do it anymore with work and family...
Old 11-25-2010, 08:52 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanathpc View Post
I volunteered many many years ago now.... I know things have changed.... My life changed so I'm not able to do it anymore with work and family...
Well rest assured if you every find the time to do it again, I'll bet your local vollies could use the help.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Update: We finally start recruit training Thursday..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!