Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
New laws for new year, NY Volunteer Firefighter 10% property tax credit

Quote:
A few new laws, meanwhile, will provide incentives and more protection for emergency workers.

One will give a 10 percent property tax exemption to volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers in counties with 79,000 to 80,000 people ? the law was drafted with Clinton County specifically in mind. To qualify, the person seeking the exemption must have been a member of the organization for at least five years.

Neil Rivenburgh, deputy director of Cayuga County Emergency Services, said there aren't nearly enough volunteer firefighters and other emergency workers because of the struggling economy. The U.S. Census Bureau's 2009 population estimate for Cayuga County was just under 80,000 people.

"It just isn't worth their time," said Rivenburgh, who helps oversee the 29 volunteer fire departments and 13 volunteer ambulance services in the county.

"Whatever the government can do to assist in recruitment and retention, whether it's a tax break or education assistance, is imperative," he said.
On page 2 near the bottom----> New year brings new rules for New Yorkers | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM  

New Paltz, New York
JCJ, check with your tax folks, I can't recall if this was first on a county based level and now they have made it across the board. I think it was a small % off property tax or you got $200 back at tax time. Either way it was a small break but a break none the less. Also you can claim your mileage for volunteering. It would cover, any firematic volunteering whether training, meetings, calls, etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Thanks bigjoe, I do appreciate the heads up.. every little bit helps..
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Thanks bigjoe, I do appreciate the heads up.. every little bit helps..
That's a fact!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM  

Bronx NY, NY
Too bad my county has like 800,000 people.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 AM  

Binghamton, NY
First I have heard of this. Thanks for posting it. I like the idea !

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!