Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM  

Manchester, NH
State rip off!

I need a copy of my Birth certificate, so I go on line to records. NY State wants $35.00 for the copy, 10.00 admin fee, and a $7.95 fee to process payment. I called Freeport today. The Village of Freeport charges $10.00. $52.75 compared w/ $10.00 for the same document.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM  

12550, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I need a copy of my Birth certificate, so I go on line to records. NY State wants $35.00 for the copy, 10.00 admin fee, and a $7.95 fee to process payment. I called Freeport today. The Village of Freeport charges $10.00. $52.75 compared w/ $10.00 for the same document.
Yep. Some towns charge for a free police report too. It is ridiculous. The state charges a tax for sugary drinks, and then also charges a bottle deposit tax that was supposed to be for the same thing.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM  

Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Yep. Some towns charge for a free police report too. It is ridiculous. The state charges a tax for sugary drinks, and then also charges a bottle deposit tax that was supposed to be for the same thing.
Just moved to NY recently. I was a bit shocked to realize I had to pay a tax and a bottle deposit. I ten have to wast time shoving the bottles back into a machine that doesn't work about 50% of the time to be able to get my $ back...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 PM  

12550, New York
You can do the work around: Go to Customer Service. Tell them the machine is broken, and that you are tired of waiting. They are required to accept them, so you just count them out and you get your money back faster. There are some places that will just count and take. Apparently there is a place here in Binghamton that will give $.06 rather than $.05.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 PM  

rochester, NY
Tax state for sure, there are hidden fees for everything
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 AM  

Poughkeepsie, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
You can do the work around: Go to Customer Service. Tell them the machine is broken, and that you are tired of waiting. They are required to accept them, so you just count them out and you get your money back faster. There are some places that will just count and take. Apparently there is a place here in Binghamton that will give $.06 rather than $.05.
The easiest way, I have found, is taking bottles and cans to a local beer store. They usually have a separate processing area for returns and you deal with a person instead of a machine. You don't need to worry about different SKUs, etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM  

buffalo, ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferris View Post
The easiest way, I have found, is taking bottles and cans to a local beer store. They usually have a separate processing area for returns and you deal with a person instead of a machine. You don't need to worry about different SKUs, etc.
a lot of mom and pop grocery stores don't have the machines yet and are much quicker. Wonder what taxes the new gov is going to come up with?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM  

Poughkeepsie, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrewer View Post
a lot of mom and pop grocery stores don't have the machines yet and are much quicker. Wonder what taxes the new gov is going to come up with?
I believe you will be taxed for that question. There is a new question authority tax that will be going into effect, no doubt.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM  

Poughkeepsie, ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by efaden View Post
Just moved to NY recently. I was a bit shocked to realize I had to pay a tax and a bottle deposit. I ten have to wast time shoving the bottles back into a machine that doesn't work about 50% of the time to be able to get my $ back...
there should have been a deposit years ago before the hi- ways became litteded with the bottles.10 would suit me more than the nickle, my road is looking cleaner ever yr.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM  

Buffalo, NY
Just drink bottles or glass bottles for beer and bring them back in the original container, then go to customer service and the process will go by a lot quicker.. annoying yes but I just rinse out every bottle then keep them stored in the basement. when it comes to the point i will get a big return I return them all back at the same time.. usually 3 times a yr..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads