Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM  

Cornelius, NC
New license plate holder law?

What?s with the new law concerning license plate holders in North Carolina? It seems a little vague and the penalty a bit steep. ($100.00 fine?) In any case if the 2 upper corner stickers are visible is this okay? You can see by my avatar I may have a problem?..but I hate to take off my holder.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
You have a good Tag

Sir; based on my understanding?? no

you cannot see the entire NC; we know what it is; Charlotte Police do not

I'll look and see if I can find the link that describes the whole deal!?!?

found the words?

November 26, 2009 2:46 AM
Beginning Tuesday, a new law goes into effect that requires the state’s name across the bottom of the plate as well as the year and month stickers on a license plate to be fully visible.

Under the new law, plates can no longer be partially covered by a license frame, according to a news release from the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Vehicle owners can be cited for committing an infraction and, after Nov. 30, 2010, fined $100 for the violation.
The law was introduced in the 2009 session of the General Assembly and was supported by law enforcement officials because it increases the readability of registration information on the plates and helps identify vehicles registered in North Carolina, the DOT said.

found @ http://www.jdnews.com/news/effect-70226-law-new.html#

"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12
Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 AM  

Cornelius, NC
Double Yoi!

As Myron Cope would say.....Thanks for the info, I truly will be a displaced Steelers fan now as I remove my holder....Very stupid law....
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 AM  

Cornelius, NC
However- I see a great entrepreneurial opportunity here. If any holder was redesigned to frame the plate and didn’t cover it there could be a lot of money to be made. Get the patent on this one……
Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 PM  

Asheville, North Carolina
I wonder if this law applies to any vehicle on the road in NC?(out of state drivers/visitors)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM  

Sammamish, WA
And I thought our recent law was stupid!

We have to get new plates ($15) every 5 years because the reflective coating wears out and makes it hard for the police to read them at night. Maybe they need to tighten up the passing score on the vision test to get into the academy.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 AM  

Concord, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey View Post
I wonder if this law applies to any vehicle on the road in NC?(out of state drivers/visitors)
I think its one of the many laws to give police probable cause to stop you. In ggltd's case you can tell it's a NC plate, but I have seen some out state plates with holders you have no clue what state the tag is from. Surely if you get stopped for this and given a ticket the DA will drop it, if you show you have removed the plate holder. I would hope they have bigger fish to fry and not clog our over loaded court system for this.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
visable

all ''tag'' covering; are illegal. Including out of state ''tag'' coverings. :

convert one; leaving only the state; ''current sticker tag'' visable
"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12
Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM  

Does anyone know how the ticket holds up in court? I just got one for my license plate and its frame...Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM  

Sammamish, WA
A file, jigsaw, Dremel, or even sandpaper will take off the offending part of the ear, leaving enough for the screw to hold.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Bookmark this Page!