Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
OBX Christmas

My wife and I are old and tired...and retired. We live on retiree income which is, in effect, shrinking every day.

We are thinking of getting away for a few days over Christmas. Just the two of us, lovebirds.

We don't care for parties or big tadoos and prefer to stay away from crowds. We enjoy Christmas lights, parades, zoos, country music, scenery, good food (not fancy food), and historic sites (esp Civil War). My wife loves to read and play the slots while I am off hunting.

I am looking into things to do and places to see within a full day's drive of SW Virginia.

OBX is within our driving limit. I have surfed the Internet and found motels and some attractions that are advertising for the holidays but I would like to get some suggestions from real people.

Tell us about Christmas in OBX.

What will we find to do in on 23, 24, 25, and 26 December?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM  

Allentown, PA
I used to live in Greenville, about 2.5 hours from the Outer Banks, and we loved it there over the holidays. But the reason that we loved it was that there is so little going on. A lot of things will close up, and you'll find few people.

To me that was a plus. It sounds like you're more interested in stuff to do...

One great thing is the Roanoke Island Aquarium. It's in Manteo and part of the NC Aquarium system (they've got 5 or so). It's not huge like the Baltimore or Seattle Aquarium, but they do a lot with what they've got. One of the coolest things are the touch tanks. One has stingrays that have become so used to people that they come up for you to pet them.

Rick

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 AM  

Greenville, North Carolina
Good Eats

If you do go....two must eat places are Awful Arthurs and The Outerbanks Brewing Station....both are fantastic!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM  

Greensboro, NC
Actually,

The fact that there are not many folks there during Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the reasons we like to go.

Nice and quiet getaway.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 AM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
Aquariums are good.
Brews are good.
No people is good.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 AM  

Concord, NC
We just got back from our fall stay at the OBX. Most everything is closed south of Oregon Inlet to Hatteras, we didn't go any further. Kill Devil Hills still had some winter activity. If it is your first winter at the banks be prepared for the weather, the wind chill can be brutal. Striper fishing should be excellent, after a slow Oct, and Nov for drum the strippers were picking up when we left. Anytime is a good time to visit the OBX, but the fall and winter is special. If you have never experienced it you will be hooked and make it back time and time again.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Bookmark this Page!