Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM  

Mountain Biking NOVA

Anyone enjoy mtb around NOVA?

Wakefield in Annandale is my normal haunt but I get out to Fountainhead out in Fairfax Station near the Occoquan Reservoir as much as I can.

I know there's a smaller trail system out near Gainsville right off 66 but haven't had a chance to check out. Anyone have any info on it? Is it worth the drive?

There's also Laurel Hill down near Lorton.

What's your favorite trail?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:15 PM  

Fairfax, VA
How advanced is that trail in Annandale? I live in Fairfax, and don't really do hardcore mountain biking (I have a hybrid bike), but some "off road" trails would certainly be an escape from the WOD trail

Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 PM  

Most of the trail system at Wakefield is singletrack. There are trees to hop over and rocks to navigate through but all can be avoided with a little hike a bike. Some of it [like the trail that parallels the river] would probably be fine for getting your feet wet.

There is also a cross country fire road that connects wakefield park to accotink park. You could easily take this gravel trail from wakefield out to and around accotink lake then back. Park at the first lot on your right as you come in and look for the trail headed out of the lot closest to Braddock road.

Have fun!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM  

Springfield, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8link View Post
Most of the trail system at Wakefield is singletrack. There are trees to hop over and rocks to navigate through but all can be avoided with a little hike a bike. Some of it [like the trail that parallels the river] would probably be fine for getting your feet wet.

There is also a cross country fire road that connects wakefield park to accotink park. You could easily take this gravel trail from wakefield out to and around accotink lake then back. Park at the first lot on your right as you come in and look for the trail headed out of the lot closest to Braddock road.

Have fun!
I might have to give this a try it is close enough
Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 AM  

Leesburg, VA
Wakefield is a very fun trail system for people who are comfortable riding a mountain bike. The trails there actually connect to Lake Accotink, which has a crushed gravel trail around it and is very beginner-friendly. It can be a little crowded on a nice weekend, be careful to ride under control and always yield to hikers.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 PM  

Love the wakefield trails. Heard good things about fountainhead but have yet to make it out there. Hopefully some time next spring.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 AM  

NVA, VA
Hey count me in. I also have a hybrid style bike but would love to get it on some dirt. When the weather breaks ofcourse.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM  

If wakefield isn't enough cardio for you Fountainhead is wonderful. Good technical climbs and excellent downhills.
Hope you all have fun!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM  

NVA, VA
I was driving by wakefield park today on my way into work this evening and thought it would be fun to ride that one. There is also a paved route by route one that seems nice it is right along the water. Does anyone know the name of that one? Some sort of marina
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM  

There is a trail entrance to W&OD off Sunset Hills Rd near Champs in Reston. There is a parking lot at Isaac Newton Square. If you pick that up and follow it through there are some sweet off road biking near Lake Fairfax.

Enjoy!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Bookmark this Page!