Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 AM  
Traveler

Anyone in Law Enforcement?

How would you side with this person?............ Idiots with badges!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last October, Md put a 'hands free' law into effect for cell phones.
Late October Robbie got 2 weeks R+R from Afgan tour.
He bought a truck, tagged it and proceeded to drive where there are no snipers or land mines for a change, (Or so he thought).
He was pulled out of a line of cars doing 47 MPH in a 40 because he was on his phone. He told the officer that he didn't know about the new law, because he had just got back from 6 months in the sandbox.
The cop said "Don't you read the newspaper"? Then he told Robbie that he had to go to court for these tickets! Rob told him that he would not be there because he only had 2 week leave.
Robbie finished his 'year tour' and got home 3 weeks ago. There was a BENCH WARRANT waiting! He got back on saturday, but remained 'at large' till monday, when he turned himself in!
WTH are these stupid cops THINKING? They would crap their pantys if they had to live like Robbie has lived for the last year!
For some reason, Robbie thinks our policeman is an IDIOT! He has spread this little story far and wide in Military circles! I'll spread it other places!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 AM  

Having just a little experience (25+ years) I can tell you there are idiots on both sides of the fence. If he was cited for going 47, I can assure the speed was probably much faster. So, a cop sees someone violating not one law but two laws. This sounds like a no-brainer and a citation is much deserved. The next thing one has to ponder is the attitudes on both sides. Once I found out he was serving our country, I myself would not only walk away, but would shake his hand and thank him for a job well done.

Playing the devil's advocate, what would have happened the cop was having a bad day and the driver had a chip on his shoulder? Yes, I would give him a citation. The bottom line is unless we were there, nobody knows what really happened.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 AM  
H2O Doctor...

League City, Texas
^^^^I agree...Any red blooded American would have given that young man a pass....unless something else was said...or done...etc etc.

I appreciate all that Robbie has done for us, as a veteran he is atop my list for serving our country. Although, we only have one side of this story and it is being translated 3rd party. I would like to hear the Police Officers version, because I know there are some guys who use the "sandbox" as a way out of certain situations..just saying not judging!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM  
fustrated genius

I am not a cop, nor have I ever been, but I sure had my fare share of experiance in the getting pulled over part in my younger days. I would say that I've come across a few cops who I just didn't like and visa verse, but for the most part, it is the driver's responsibility to know and obey the laws of the state they're driving in. Most places/cops/etc., give warnings if the law has just gone into effect. One thing I have learned with age is, once I gave up the excuses and blaming the cop at the window, and just complied with the laws, speed, seat belts phones etc. (and oooh, no more lowering the chevies) then they pretty much leave me alone. I would have cut the guy a break, but I was never a cop.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I think if the guy simply told his superiors what had happened they could have arranged for some alternative.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I as a man would have issued a warning for both the speed and th cell phone use. I would have said since you were gone we passed a no cell use law. So please don't talk on your phone while driving. Thank-you and have a nice day.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
He did wrong, that's why we have Judges, to decide if the context he did wrong in is worth punishing.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm not LEO either, but my neighbor and a few of my close friends are so I do know they have certain discretionary powers. I agree 100% with what the Flash said. I think that cop was a jerk.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I'm not LEO either, but my neighbor and a few of my close friends are so I do know they have certain discretionary powers. I agree 100% with what the Flash said. I think that cop was a jerk.
They do, I grew up in LE, it scares me as an adult to think many of my "Uncles" had that sort of authority.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM  
Traveler

I'm just surprised that the kid (A) Didn't just pay the tickets or (B) arrange a court date. To me, I think this kid is obviously a bit immature, to just say "Agh the hell with it" and ignore his responsibilities in this matter, even if he was totally innocent and there was likely more to the story if you heard the other side.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!